My second combustion cannon

Boom! The classic potato gun harnesses the combustion of flammable vapor. Show us your combustion spud gun and discuss fuels, ratios, safety, ignition systems, tools, and more.
Jose Arcadio Buendia
Private
Private

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:20 pm

This is my second combustion cannon:
Update:
I bought some pipe and made barrel extension; I sanded down the division in the coupling so there would be no space between the two pipes. It has now a 3ft barrel and a 0.75 C:B ratio.
Here is a damage picture using a PVC dart against a 1/4" pine board:

It is made from sch 40 PVC. The chamber is 6.357" of 2" pipe and the barrel 13" of 1" pipe. The C:B ratio is 2.76:1; it is not very good since I made the barrel from a small scrap piece of pipe I had. The cannon has a 1.5" computer fan that I power with a 9v battery. It has a BBQ piezoelectric lighter ignition.
Those are the fuels I use. Either metered butane from lighters with a syringe (I use 11mL of butane) or one pump of 99.8% isopropyl alcohol from a nasal spray bottle works very well. After combustion using the alcohol there is not residue or liquid on the chamber since it all evaporates. With the butane I get very consistent shots; it rarely misfires. I can't say about the alcohol since I mostly use the metered butane.
Last edited by Jose Arcadio Buendia on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:51 am

How did you attach the fan to the plug?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:57 am

jrrdw wrote:How did you attach the fan to the plug?
Looks like tubes wedged into the cap.

Syringe fuelling FTW!
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Jose Arcadio Buendia
Private
Private

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:47 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
jrrdw wrote:How did you attach the fan to the plug?
Looks like tubes wedged into the cap.
It is pieces of tube from a windex bottle. I wrapped some tape around them so they would fit snugly on the cap
jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
Syringe fuelling FTW!
Yes, who needs those fancy propane tanks and reliable metering systems attached to their cannon :lol: .