Interrupted Screw

Boom! The classic potato gun harnesses the combustion of flammable vapor. Show us your combustion spud gun and discuss fuels, ratios, safety, ignition systems, tools, and more.
thunderskunk
Private
Private

Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:59 pm

Evenin folks

So I had a change of heart. I can't get my ignition to work in the shells I've been trying to get my howitzer to fire, so I'm giving up on using a precharged shell altogether. Now it's just a shell with a potato shoved up the chamber, and a screw on backing to my 4 inch chamber like every other spud gun in the world.

Here's somethin though. My door action won't be any good with a screw-in breech plug. SO, what about an interrupted screw?

Well, I decided to experiment, and came up with something that... worked but didn't work.
SUNP0146.JPG
SUNP0147.JPG
The mechanism worked. But, it did leak quite a bit. on this little tiny version, that wouldn't be a problem because I have a rubber gasket that solves the issue. My larger version doesn't have the shelf for a gasket, so shaving the threads would leave a pretty big gap.

So, lemme know what you think to these possible solutions:

-Leaving one thread at the end of the cap for a seal

-Screwing a plate to the back of the cap with a rubber gasket

-saying screw it... as in not use an interrupted screw because these parts were ten bucks and I'm a cheap SOB.

Oh, and I painted it. Here's the updated pics:
SUNP0141.JPG
SUNP0142.JPG
SUNP0144.JPG
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:52 am

O-rings (2 of them) at the end of the breach. At 1/4" and 1/2" from the breach opening. Mount them on the plug for easy access and replacement when needed.
thunderskunk
Private
Private

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:32 pm

Haha, you called it. I needed three rings and a pad. I needed to make them myself, but they worked in the end.
jimmy101
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:38 pm

You mod'd a cleanout plug? That's the weakest part (almost certainly not a pressure rated part) in the gun. Plus, I would suspect that cleanout's are tapered (like pipe threads) or have a slightly variable pitch to help them seal. Be a good idea to not stand behind the breach when firing.

BTW, the cannon looks great.
thunderskunk
Private
Private

Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:55 pm

Just in case someone looks at this and wants to do the same thing:

I've fired the gun on several occasions now. My shells work awesome, and the threads still exist on my chamber door, which is a good sign. A few notes, you 100% need a gasket, and the way you make it can either work for or against you. I'll post pictures here in a bit, but the threads will only hold the door "tight" at a certain angle. You can adjust that angle by adding more or different thicknesses of rubber gaskets to the door, as long as they fit properly.

Another note, up until today I haven't gotten my door to hold a seal for more than one shot. The whole point of the interrupted screw is to make reloading the gun faster. If you don't have the need or means to rapid-fire your gun, stick with the threads. It's safer and much more sure-fire.

BUT! Now that the door does hold a seal, we were able to make a science out of the operation and fired three rounds in a little over a minute, and hit the same target (generally...). So if you can make it work, the rewards are great