An Attempt at Comparing Different Spud Guns!

Boom! The classic potato gun harnesses the combustion of flammable vapor. Show us your combustion spud gun and discuss fuels, ratios, safety, ignition systems, tools, and more.
saveitforparts
Private
Private
United States of America

Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:27 pm

I haven't seen a lot of side-by-side comparisons of different potato cannon designs. Since I have a bunch lying around, I figured I'd do some "scientific" (ha!) measurements of power, accuracy, etc, and see if I could narrow down which ones are the best.

Now, I don't have anything super advanced here. No stun guns or metering yet (probably a future project!). I just have some of the basics; the old hair spray special, the propane torch model, the pneumatic (yes I know this is the combustion forum, sorry!), etc. I even had some friends bring their designs (including one that I'm terrified of and will NOT be emulating, lol!).

Anyway, here's the show. First half is shootin' stuff, 2nd half is middle-school-quality graphs :-P

Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:55 pm

LOL. Cool video! If you want to blow your own mind, build a metered propane cannon with a chamber fan. Probably get around 120 meters per second with pretty much perfect reliability.