Ignitor not working/no spark

Boom! The classic potato gun harnesses the combustion of flammable vapor. Show us your combustion spud gun and discuss fuels, ratios, safety, ignition systems, tools, and more.
PhantomCougarJT5
Recruit
Recruit
United States of America

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:47 pm

I decided to make my spud gun so there is 4 different sparks in the combustion chamber. The problem is when i first rigged it up it was making a spark everytime I clicked the igniter, i leave it sit for a few hours and then go and get ready to shoot it and I check to make sure theres a spark and there isn't one (theres 4 different sparks). This has happened multiple occasions. The gun is pvc and I use screws that are drilled into the combustion chamber and the screwes are about 1/6 of an inch apart. I have shot this gun many times when i used to have only one spark in it and this wasn't a problem.
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:46 am

What kind of igniter are you using? And can you describe how you have the electrodes wired up?
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:31 am

The sparking may be unreliable because the gap is pretty big and there's 4 of them that the electricity has to jump across. If it worked reliably with 1 gap, then I think this might be the issue. It could be something else, but I think there's too much resistance the current is trying to jump through.