Potato cannon not igniting

Boom! The classic potato gun harnesses the combustion of flammable vapor. Show us your combustion spud gun and discuss fuels, ratios, safety, ignition systems, tools, and more.
Reptoline
Recruit
Recruit
Bangladesh

Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:33 pm

My potato cannon is not igniting, I have tried adding different levels of butane and hair spray (roughly between 3 and 9% of the chambers volume) and it still won't ignite. Are my arcs to small? Or is there something I'm missing? I'm using a standard barbeque igniter and it makes obvious arcs, but I still don't get any ignition. If someone would know how to fix this please let me know. Thanks.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:22 am

For a simple combustion you need a decent spark gap, in my experience around 6mm when using piezo igniters. How are you metering your fuel? Are you using a syringe for the butane?

What are you using as an igniter?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
D_Hall
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5
United States of America

Donating Members

Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:09 pm

As hinted at in the previous post.... The most likely cause is incorrect fuel/air ratio. Unfortunately, this is not an easy thing to measure with a "spray and pray" potato gun. First things first? Ditch the hair spray (that is an affront to the potato gun gods!), and find a way to MEASURE how much butane you're putting in.
Simulation geek (GGDT / HGDT) and designer of Vera.
mojangrecite
Recruit
Recruit
United States of America

Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:55 am

D_Hall wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:09 pm
As hinted at in the previous post.... The most likely cause is incorrect fuel/air ratio. Unfortunately, this is not an easy thing to measure with a "spray and pray" potato gun. First things first? Ditch the hair spray (that is an affront to the potato gun gods!), and find a way to MEASURE how much butane you're putting in.
Absolutely agree! Precision matters. Swap out the hair spray for a more controlled fuel source and consider adding a gauge to measure butane. It could make a significant difference in your potato gun performance. Happy launching!
Discover the top-rated compressors for your needs and budget, with expert reviews and comparisons, only at our comprehensive guide.