Why not to use acetylene as spud gun fuel.

Boom! The classic potato gun harnesses the combustion of flammable vapor. Show us your combustion spud gun and discuss fuels, ratios, safety, ignition systems, tools, and more.
joannaardway
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:59 am

Yeah, half a mile is as close to 800 metres as makes little difference in spudgun range terms.

And, yes - it's probably worth just forgetting Affliction. We wouldn't spare half a thought for most other jerks like him.
Novacastrian: How about use whatever the heck you can get your hands on?
frankrede: Well then I guess it won't matter when you decide to drink bleach because your out of kool-aid.
...I'm sorry, but that made my year.
TurboSuper
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:52 pm

It should also be mentioned that you're not necessarily in the clear if it fails just because it's ABS.

It's very possible for the ABS to rip in two seperate places and send a chunk o' flaming plastic in a random direction. Granted that's better than a zillion PVC shards, but I wouldn't wanna get smacked by it.
"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards
Jameshudson506
Recruit
Recruit

Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:59 am

The Air Force just did a test using a bunch of different fuels and acetylene one by a mile. I have been using acetylene in my spud guns for years without any ill results. I do recommend using a high-strength pipe material but hey if you got the balls go ahead. not saying is going to fail but there is always a chance better safe than sorry. I even have an oxy acetylene spud gun. You bet that was made of welded steel.