My Second Cannon

Boom! The classic potato gun harnesses the combustion of flammable vapor. Show us your combustion spud gun and discuss fuels, ratios, safety, ignition systems, tools, and more.
LordGarbash
Private
Private

Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:36 pm

Here's the cannon I recently built. I got into cannons at the end of school this year and built my first the week after school got out. My first cannon was a Green Hornet, from boogieman's site. So for this one I decided to do some major modifications. Sorry the pictures aren't the best of quality, I'm not much of a photographer.

http://img269.echo.cx/my.php?image=brig ... vin4yh.gif

That's a picture of me with the cannon. I figured, possibly incorrectly, that reducer couplings help to direct/funnel the hot gases into the barrel. So I made the chamber such that it would work on that principle. There is only one spark, so I figured this design would work best. It's basically a Green Hornet, plus an addition in the back, and a wider barrel. As you can see, it has a clear chamber piece, ordered from SpudTech, and also features an LED fan. Here's a picture of the gun layed out on my floor. The frisbee is there for a size reference.

http://img269.echo.cx/my.php?image=full ... iew1ej.jpg

The next picture is of the gun in its 2 pieces:

http://img269.echo.cx/my.php?image=cann ... led4qx.jpg

The cannon was painted with Krylon Fusion paint. The flames were made by initially painting the barrel blue, letting it dry a bit, and then making flames with contact paper and placing them over the end of the barrel. Then I painted the barrel black, followed by removing the contact paper to reveal the flames.

In case you didn't notice, there are 2 switches, the back one turns on the fan, and the front one is a safety switch. The safety is slightly confusing though, because when it's on it allows it to spark, while when it's off the cannon will not fire.

I'd say it's a fairly nice cannon considering that i started building cannons about a month ago.
saladtossser
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:46 pm

I'd say it's a fairly nice cannon considering that i started building cannons about a month ago.
what r u talking about, that is GREAT!! love that blue flame, but if the pics were clearer, i might figure out how to make that awesome grip, that looks menacing.
"whoa... I thought pimpmann was black..."-pyromanic13
LordGarbash
Private
Private

Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:03 pm

The grip is made completely out of PVC. I used 2 1" bends, a 1"coupling, a 1"plug, a little bit of 1" pipe, and a 1" cap. Basically I drilled a hole in the plug which I put the sparker in, hot glued the sparker in. I took one of the bends and sawed one of the places where the PVC goes in halfm lengthwise. I attacked the plug to the coupling, not glued, but stuck it in. The coupling was attached to a tiny piece of 1" piping, which then was attached to the non cut bend. This piece with the sparker on it was then attached to another, longer, piece of 1" piping, which went in to the uncut part of the cut bend. The next part was probably the hardest part. I had to file down part of the bend so that a piece of 1" piping would fit underneath the part of the handle that was made already. Once I had done that, I cut a piece of 1" piping in half, lengthwise, to go underneath what was already made of the handle. I cut a 1" cap in half to make the 2 end pieces of the base. After filing the whole thing to fit on the cannon, I epoxied it on, no extra screws going into my cannon. Let me know if that makes sense.
saladtossser
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:33 pm

It make sense, where did u get the clear PVC? did u rder them from spudtech?
"whoa... I thought pimpmann was black..."-pyromanic13
LordGarbash
Private
Private

Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:01 pm

Yup, the clear was from SpudTech.
iamthewalrus
Corporal
Corporal

Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:52 pm

that is very very impressive for a second cannon, im very impressed, ur a natural born spudder, lol. i LOVE that hand very creative
i got connections with the modfia, watch who ur talkin to noob.

talk to me on AIM at iamthwalrus3