mini hybrid win!

Harness the power of precision mixtures of pressurized flammable vapor. Safety first! These are advanced potato guns - not for the beginner.
Labtecpower
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3
Eritrea

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:26 am

wow :shock: I really need a hybrid.

My copper spudgun is struggling with only 1 layer of this stuff :?
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:26 pm

Impressive but...
PSU casing as well as the ciruit board of one of them:
damn dude WTF are you doing...?

They make great power supplies
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:17 pm

Labtecpower wrote:wow :shock: I really need a hybrid.

My copper spudgun is struggling with only 1 layer of this stuff :?
Once you go hybrid you don't really go back - the power potential with high mixes is far in excess what you can achieve with HPA. It took me a long time to actually make one but once I did, well this thread shows you the extent of development that followed ;)
POLANS_SPUD wrote:damn dude WTF are you doing...?

They make great power supplies
They *are* power supplies ;) but these don't work, I have a geek friend who repairs PCs on the side, he provides me with burnt out units :)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:46 pm

Once you go hybrid you don't really go back - the power potential with high mixes is far in excess what you can achieve with HPA
Ohh damn I think it's time for me to FINALLY test build a working prototype of polska_hybryda
( so far everything is 80-90% ready... well, actually it is quite surprising that it was taht simple to get the whole system o seal.... I am currently waitin for another spark generator (yeah I fired the last one)

(but hey I only I spent like 20 minutes total on this project since last September :-D that's if you're wondering whether it is an easy project or not)

You know I am writing this just because posting this shit here would force me to finish this project....
Last edited by POLAND_SPUD on Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:05 pm

I should pull my finger out too, I've changed mine around so the chamber isn't overkill for the exactly 4.5mm Al barrel I've got. (and I've only got 15M of this tubing, it costs $1 per metre)

HGDT says I should be near 460m/s at 10X, at 5X ~340m/s. Assuming a 0.5 gram air rifle pellet. The chamber to barrel ratio is actually 2:1, I can't get it any smaller without losing it's form though.

Damn 1/2 steel fittings and the exorbitant cost of 3/8 fittings.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:12 pm

I've got a 4.5mm barrel too... I am actually considering a coaxial design for the next version....
4.5mm would probably be too small.... but 0.20 or 0.22 cal does seem pretty impressive in GGDT (well at least if you use lead projectiles)
Last edited by POLAND_SPUD on Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:25 pm

I'd like to use .22, but then I'd have to pull bullets from 22LRs, .22 air rifle pellets aren't the easiest to get when you don't have a firearms license (yet).

You can get .22LR without a license here, .177 air rifle pellets and 12 gauge shotgun shells are the same (they never ask for licenses in agricultural stores). I do like the country, almost everything is legal, and the police compliment your "harmless" devices.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:23 pm

I can understand the procrastination, I had actually built a hybrid back in 2007 but never used it as such and it became a burst disk pneumatic.

I would recommend going with the larger calibre, if you're sticking with 0.177" then go a little overkill with chamber volume and barrel length, my 0.177" hybrids so far have been less than impressive, even at 28x.
You know I am writing this just because posting this crap here would force me to finish this project...

Seriously, do it. You'll wonder what the heck you were doing pissing about with HPA ;) I mean the 3/4" I have operational now uses the barrel from this project, and the latter wouldn't even go through one layer of casing steel even at 850 psi.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Crna Legija
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:59 am

would 1/8'' qev work as the piston valve part of a piston hybrid? i can't see why it wouldn't. how much volume does the hybrid you used in the videos, if i go ahead and make one out of parts i have it will only have be about 20ml.

how do i make the spell check unlearn something?
'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:58 am

Crna Legija wrote:would 1/8'' qev work as the piston valve part of a piston hybrid? i can't see why it wouldn't.
Technically it should work, my only concern would be if the diaphragm can take the heat.
how much volume does the hybrid you used in the videos, if i go ahead and make one out of parts i have it will only have be about 20ml.
Both the orginal subject of this thread (lol I was looking at page one, to think I was worried going past 6x) and the 3/4" "shotgun" used for the last videos have a chamber volume of about 20mL. I don't suggest you go beyond 6mm calibre with a 1/8" QEV because of the choked flow, and to keep the diaphragm intact it's best to stick to around 5-6x max.
CpTn_lAw
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:38 am

I agree with the fact that when you go hybrid... nothing else will serve your thirst of power and noise...
Remember the mini hybrid i built a while back? well.... One day JSR, you should really consider making a handheld 1/2" mini hybrid. I recently shot a 9 gram lead ball through it at a little 11x , but, it still kicks a lot! It's fun how rewarding recoil can be !

Recently, with a friend we discussed about silencers. We make those little piston blowguns, out of pen erasers, and he succeeded in making a working silencer for it, which brought to my mind that you tried an integral suppressor... What were the problems with it?
"J'mets mes pieds où j'veux, et c'est souvent dans la gueule."
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:05 am

CpTn_lAw wrote:Remember the mini hybrid i built a while back? well.... One day JSR, you should really consider making a handheld 1/2" mini hybrid. I recently shot a 9 gram lead ball through it at a little 11x , but, it still kicks a lot! It's fun how rewarding recoil can be!
A hand-held pistol type launcher is definitely on the card, I have some piston experimentation to do first to get a configuration I'm happy with. I still want it to be cartridge fed though, even if it's single shot and manual loading.
Recently, with a friend we discussed about silencers. We make those little piston blowguns, out of pen erasers, and he succeeded in making a working silencer for it, which brought to my mind that you tried an integral suppressor... What were the problems with it?
The suppressor I had made for the mini was badly made, insufficient barrel porting and not enough baffles/chambers. The one I made for this was much more effective :)
Crna Legija
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:49 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
Crna Legija wrote:would 1/8'' qev work as the piston valve part of a piston hybrid? i can't see why it wouldn't.
Technically it should work, my only concern would be if the diaphragm can take the heat.
how much volume does the hybrid you used in the videos, if i go ahead and make one out of parts i have it will only have be about 20ml.
Both the orginal subject of this thread (lol I was looking at page one, to think I was worried going past 6x) and the 3/4" "shotgun" used for the last videos have a chamber volume of about 20mL. I don't suggest you go beyond 6mm calibre with a 1/8" QEV because of the choked flow, and to keep the diaphragm intact it's best to stick to around 5-6x max.

Ahh thats mad ill be getting syringes tomorrow but still need a schrader valve, ill just get it of my bike. the piston in the qev isn't a worry because i have a unlimited supply of them(free from work). I have a 1 meter peace of 5.5mm ss pipe ill use for the barrel.
'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:16 am

JSR.. I'm looking forward to seeing an actual "gun" from you, maybe even with a grip and trigger. I love your work but think some of it, especially this project, could be awesome with a simple pistol grip and a little work.
"Some say his pet elephant is pink, and that he has no understanding of "PG rated forum". All we know is, he's called JSR. "
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:23 am

JDP12 wrote:JSR.. I'm looking forward to seeing an actual "gun" from you, maybe even with a grip and trigger. I love your work but think some of it, especially this project, could be awesome with a simple pistol grip and a little work.
I'm tempted to add a grip to this one and paint it, but my fear is always that I will finish it, then it will spring a leak or something that will require me to bin it. This is why I'd like it to be cartridge fed, all the "worky bits" - seals, fill valve, electrodes etc - will be in the cartridge, so if something goes wrong, I can just bin the cartridge :)

Tried another shot at 15x with 7 x 0.177" lead BBs, still too close to the target to get a good spread though.

[youtube][/youtube]

The damage to the steel sheet and the wood backing it is also impressive, if the wood wasn't backed by a granite slab there's a possibility the lead would have gone through.
Attachments
CIMG2284.JPG
Last edited by jackssmirkingrevenge on Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.