Mjöllnir - 1.5" porting Handheld Piston Hybrid

Harness the power of precision mixtures of pressurized flammable vapor. Safety first! These are advanced potato guns - not for the beginner.
MrCrowley

Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:00 am

Does the F1 chrony need the guide rods? I found one on an auction site for $90NZD that doesn't have them but the guy says they're not needed.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:03 am

MrCrowley wrote:Does the F1 chrony need the guide rods?
The rods are there to hold the sunshields that allow the chrony to be used in stronger sunlight. They also provide a useful aiming guide, but the chrony works perfectly well without them, it's not integral to the function.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
MrCrowley

Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:12 am

Awesome, just bought it for $76USD including shipping from a town not too far away so should arrive Tuesday-ish.

In typical №8 wire fashion, I'll make my own sunshield and guide rods :)

Edit: Cultural lexicons aside, №8 wire would actually probably work for the guide rods :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:18 am

MrCrowley wrote:Cultural lexicons aside, №8 wire would actually probably work for the guide rods :D
If it's 4mm then it's exactly the right size!
Attachments
CIMG0012.JPG
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
MrCrowley

Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:30 am

Fùck me! I've always wondered what Kiwi blokes back in the day used this wire for, apart from fencing, and now I know - F1 chronograph guide rods!

I've got some №8 wire in the garage too, think I made the electrodes for this cannon out of it.
MrCrowley

Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:54 am

Chrony arrived but, unfortunately, after I had already gone away up north to waterblast my friends bach.

Here's a new video, plenty of things you guys can critique/give me shit about [youtube][/youtube]
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:27 am

when life gives you lemons you put them in a freezer and then shoot them in your hybrid

:D
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:51 am

MrCrowley wrote:Here's a new video, plenty of things you guys can critique/give me crap about
- No shoes in NZ? Does it alert the sheep to your approach :D

- After the Mythbusters debacle, is shooting into anything other than a suitable backstop (miniboy excluded ;)) a good idea?

- Needs some closer-to-the-target shots

Otherwise, good stuff :)
Crna Legija
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:03 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:No shoes in NZ?
im suprized he not wareing flip flops and socks :D thats what all the new Zealanders roll hear in Australia.
'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:20 am

Crna Legija wrote:im suprized he not wareing flip flops and socks :D thats what all the new Zealanders roll hear in Australia.
<div align="center">u mad?

Image</div>

:D

Anyways, good job MrCrowley, I always like seeing new videos of your tuning fork. :wink:
mobile chernobyl
Corporal 3
Corporal 3
United States of America

Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:16 am

Need's moar impact footage!

How do we know if your actually shooting anything or just dry firing all over the land?

Also a slow-mo of your "sabot's" as they leave the barrel would be awesome too. - Are you concerned at all if they are discarding? that would make for some cool footage!

That stump impact is a shame - I expected the D-cell's to do a bit more damage - but that's what happens when you shoot into the grain! you should have tried a cross grain shot to get some more cracking/splintering going on... into the grain is the strongest orientation of wood.

I'll be getting a Chrony F1 for the holiday so we can finally compare our actual muzzle velocities to those of the optimistic HGDT!

It's always nice seeing a hybrid video and It's good to see you're putting so much effort into yours! It would be nice to have a legit high powered amateur cannon'ing channel on youtube!
warhead052
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:07 am

Haha at the "Fùck yeah!". But other than that nice shots.
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrCrowley

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:48 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:- No shoes in NZ? Does it alert the sheep to your approach :D

- After the Mythbusters debacle, is shooting into anything other than a suitable backstop (miniboy excluded ;)) a good idea?

- Needs some closer-to-the-target shots

Otherwise, good stuff :)
Cheers :D
Was doing these shots in my break from waterblasting, hence the lack of shoes and shirt. Though, if I hadn't been waterblasting I imagine I'd still be shirtless and shoeless as it is summer and I don't walk around the house in shoes :wink:

The only shot I regret not doing closer-to-the-target is that frozen lemon fired at that block of wood, I think all the other shots would have been pretty lame close-up as they didn't do much damage to the tree stump as MC explained.
mobile chernobyl wrote:Need's moar impact footage!
I should be going up again next week or perhaps sometime after that. I need a better target but that means bringing one up there in the car as all he has are tree stumps and pieces of wood.
mobile chernobyl wrote:How do we know if your actually shooting anything or just dry firing all over the land?
The first lemon shot probably vaporised, the muzzle blast is quite large and misty with no observable impact marks on the tree stump. You saw the damage from the two batteries as well as the black powder cloud they release upon impact. One of the other lemon shots can be seen in a frame grab, the other destroyed a block of 45mm thick wood or something. On the first golf ball shot you can see it and hear it hit the tree, on the last golf ball shot you can hear the golf ball whiz through the air. :wink:
mobile chernobyl wrote:Also a slow-mo of your "sabot's" as they leave the barrel would be awesome too. - Are you concerned at all if they are discarding? that would make for some cool footage!
Perhaps if I can get another HD camera to film as well, I find the FC-100 can be a bit hit-and-miss with getting a good shot from a good angle with good lighting and good focus.

By the way, the only 'discarding sabot' were socks used for the golf balls. On one lemon shot I used a sock to try and prevent it from disintegrating in the barrel like the first lemon shot and the batteries had their sabots taped to them (I never did find any trace of them, though).
mobile chernobyl wrote:That stump impact is a shame - I expected the D-cell's to do a bit more damage - but that's what happens when you shoot into the grain! you should have tried a cross grain shot to get some more cracking/splintering going on... into the grain is the strongest orientation of wood.
Yeah I was disappointed at first but then I didn't really mind as it's only a tree stump picked as a target on whim and opportunity, I'm hoping to film some better targets. I think D-Cells aren't great projectiles either, they clearly explode too easily.
mobile chernobyl wrote:I'll be getting a Chrony F1 for the holiday so we can finally compare our actual muzzle velocities to those of the optimistic HGDT!
I'm quite excited about trying this, though it's unfortunate that most of my projectile have sabots that may screw up the reading. Lemons could disintegrate sending some pieces faster or slower than the main piece, golf balls need a sabot, D-Cells have sabots that, although not discarding, may break apart upon launch.
mobile chernobyl wrote:It's always nice seeing a hybrid video and It's good to see you're putting so much effort into yours! It would be nice to have a legit high powered amateur cannon'ing channel on youtube!
Thanks, I'm hoping to achieve a modest viewer base for my channel in the future to try and counter all the crap spudgun videos on YouTube :P
SpudBlaster15 wrote:One thing I'm concerned about is your lack of safety equipment. I always wear shatter resistant safety glasses (A full face shield if the target is a short distance from the muzzle and there's a significant chance of ricochet), and 30dB rated ear defenders when I operate the TBMA. It's quite surprising that the noise output of Mjölnir is even tolerable at close range without any sort of hearing protection
The first battery shot was done remotely to test whether anything potentially dangerous may ricochet, when I found that the battery pretty much disintegrates except for the shell which floats away 5m, I wasn't too worried about the lack of safety gear. Not that I had any up at the bach anyway, I could have borrowed some designer sunglasses perhaps :D

The sound output is a tricky one. Shooting it in my garage or car port is quite deafening, especially when in front of the barrel, shooting in a small outdoor area can be just as bad but shooting in semi-open areas doesn't seem to be that bad really. Maybe it's the years of abuse my ears have taken in the form of Behemoth and in-ear earphones. Though, I should always wear ear protection, as well as eye protection.
SpudBlaster15 wrote:Other than that, I have to comment on your insane hip firing skills. I can't aim my hybrid worth a shlt from anywhere other than my shoulder, but you're hitting targets dead center without even sighting down the barrel. Impressive.

Also, props on the video editing, it's excellent.
Haha, I'd probably be quite bad firing from the shoulder (not to mention it'd scare the crap out of me). I think the difference is my long barrel, it pretty much reaches the target :D

Notes:

Bad idea putting a pressure gauge on the pilot, obviously the piston compresses the pilot air to well over 300PSI which caused my gauge face to be blown off and the gauge to read 30PSI by default.

After the first shot the pilot air started leaking in to the chamber, I assume from a failed o-ring. This caused problems with fuelling as after pumping the pilot to 220PSI, when I go to fuel the chamber the chamber would have ~6PSI of air in it meaning I had to quickly vent the chamber and then inject the MAPP gas hoping only 0.5PSI or so that read on the gauge was air while the other 4.5PSI was the MAPP gas... if you get what I mean.
I managed to get 90% of the shots to ignite properly with only two having the fuel mixture off. A volumetric setup would have been better in this situation although the chamber air might have caused mixing issues when injecting the fuel.
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:13 pm

You mind filming the fueling/preparation for shooting process?