Mjöllnir - 1.5" porting Handheld Piston Hybrid

Harness the power of precision mixtures of pressurized flammable vapor. Safety first! These are advanced potato guns - not for the beginner.
MrCrowley

Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:34 pm

Could you try to rig up a sound trigger for the 600d's shutter? A high res shot of the muzzle would be amazing during muzzle flash.
I've looked at those circuits but don't they require PICAXE or Arduino or something like that? Bit out of my league, have always wanted to try it though. Would produce some awesome photos. If there's any easier way to do it I'd think about trying to make one in the coming weeks.
I'm surprised a Canon DSLR would have such muted colors. You may want to check if the custom color option thingy is set to "muted" or something.
Not sure about that, don't really know how to use the camera apart from turning it on and pressing record. I guess I didn't colour correct the 600D footage as I would have boosted the saturation, not decreased it.
Also, try this.. It's a plugin for this (you need the 32 bit version)
You'll need to frame your shots wider than you normally would.
Here. (I forgot to check the box for rolling shutter compensation)
That does look a bit better and I already have VirtualDub as well. I'm hoping I'll find another tripod or something to use in the future and not do handheld shots with adrenaline pumping through my veins :wink:

How's your hybrid anyway? Do you still use it much?

Edit: Got an old sink under the house, might see what golf balls can do to it if I get a chance to go up to my friend's bach in the coming weeks. Don't have anything more exciting to shoot at I'm afraid :(

Oh and I'm almost certainly buying a chrony soon, should be interesting.
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:45 am

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrCrowley

Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:48 am

True, I guess it would be safer too (and I wouldn't have to bother with a sabot for the golf ball). Didn't you shoot a sink or something in your videos or is it a petrol tank I'm thinking of?

I have the same scales as you but 1000g x 0.1g instead :D
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:14 am

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:16 am

Seriously, find someone close by with a decently sized lathe and a supply of Delrin or UHMWPE!
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
SpudFarm
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:53 am

Were you to be involved in that tragedy I'm sure the individual involved would have taken a kilo of lead to the face.
Would be a pleasure!
Not firing your hybrid much any more? I guess the good thing about living in city suburbs is that I don't get to fire my hybrid enough to get bored of it.
Not bored of it, just problems finding the time required :/
Mock together a piston hybrid so between you, SpudBlaster15 and me, we'll have most of the world covered
If I can pull it off, I have forgotten allot about spudding the last year. Hmmm..
Did you know anyone who was in Oslo or Utøya at the time of the attacks?
Yep, relative killed at Utøya.
"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
ramses
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
United States of America

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:06 pm

MrCrowley wrote:If there's any easier way to do it I'd think about trying to make one in the coming weeks.
One of these, but wired with this instead of the button.

If you want a delay, you could use a monostable 555 timer. You could also just move the mic away. You'll have a delay of ~1ms per foot the mic is from the source, plus the shutter lag of your camera.
How's your hybrid anyway? Do you still use it much?
Nope; metering is too much of a pain. When I have free time, I might try to convert it to semi auto.
POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
MrCrowley

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:51 pm

Hmm, would a microphone work fast enough? Wonder if there is a way to set it up with my remote ignition...
Nope; metering is too much of a pain. When I have free time, I might try to convert it to semi auto.
You still have mixing issues? I wouldn't think the fuelling port and ignition electrodes being down one end of the chamber would cause much problem.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:37 am

hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
MrCrowley

Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:58 am

I can get one here for $170NZD, so I would probably save maybe $20NZD if I can get it shipped for 'cheap' but would have to wait longer and there's more risk. Thanks for the link anyway, was wondering how much they were on eBay.
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:00 am

Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrCrowley

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:07 am

Na I haven't. Mainly due to the fact I rarely shoot projectiles from this cannon at home, in fact I haven't done so since last year. If I bring my laptop up to my friend's bach, I'd consider bringing the chronograph, hopefully the PTs are good enough to measure transonic velocities.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:23 am

MrCrowley wrote:Thanks for the link anyway, was wondering how much they were on eBay.
Seriously, buy one :) it's a one time investment (until you shoot it) and saves you pissing around with awkward improvised rigs.

If you do decide to make one, forget microphones, go the jimmy route - especially now that you're into circuitry and whatnot :D
MrCrowley

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:33 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
MrCrowley wrote:Thanks for the link anyway, was wondering how much they were on eBay.
Seriously, buy one :) it's a one time investment (until you shoot it) and saves you pissing around with awkward improvised rigs.

If you do decide to make one, forget microphones, go the jimmy route - especially now that you're into circuitry and whatnot :D
Okay, now i'm 99.5% sure I'll buy one :D

How do you remember so much crap on the forum/internet and not recall that I did a write up on both the mic method and Jimmy's method as well as a YouTube video :( :(

:D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:38 am

MrCrowley wrote:How do you remember so much crap on the forum/internet and not recall that I did a write up on both the mic method and Jimmy's method as well as a YouTube video :(
:oops: