75SD 3/4" hybrid with integral suppressor

Harness the power of precision mixtures of pressurized flammable vapor. Safety first! These are advanced potato guns - not for the beginner.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:58 pm

King_TaTer wrote:Aww, you should have went for the head! :D But impressive nonetheless.
Alreadyperforated ;)
Pic of the new suppressor?
Nothing to see, it's a 50mm diameter tube. Same internal two chamber design as the "drainpipe".
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:18 am

After all the sabot/fin work I did for Petitlu here, decided to give it a go myself with this launcher. I used a mild steel shaft from a printer cartridge, not the hardest of metals and definitely not as hard as the 1/4" steel plate I was shooting at.

Shot at 18x, after the smoke cleared I was disappointed to see that not much was done to the plate. When I found the projectile though, I was very impressed - the amount of deformation is remarkable. It's also worth noting the extent to which the previously dead straight plate got bent.

This makes a point about hardness, nature always takes the path of least resistance and in this case it went to the deformation of the projectile as opposed to the penetration of the plate. I trust Petitlu will have better results with his much denser and harder tungsten carbide rod :D
Attachments
plate deformation
plate deformation
closeup of core and impact mark
closeup of core and impact mark
projectile core and what fragments of sabot and fins I was able to recover, along with the impact mark on the plate
projectile core and what fragments of sabot and fins I was able to recover, along with the impact mark on the plate
projectile fitted in sabot
projectile fitted in sabot
projectile and sabot
projectile and sabot
projectile and sabot
projectile and sabot
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:37 am

damn I am sure you forgot to put a piece of paper behind the plate to check if there was any spalling
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
MrCrowley

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:44 am

Did you ever put up a video of the large suppressor in action?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:44 am

MrCrowley wrote:Did you ever put up a video of the large suppressor in action?
The videos on the first page of this thread are all with the big suppressor.

POLAND, you can clearly see where the projectile hit on the other side of the plate, but there wasn't really any true spalling.
Attachments
CIMG1872.JPG
CIMG1867.JPG
Crna Legija
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:04 am

you should try with a drill bit or tap if you have one.
'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:10 am

I think I'll leave the hardcore testing to Petitlu, made this shot literally behind a closed door firing the ignitor from another room, this isn't really the sort of stuff that can be done safely indoors.
DYI
First Sergeant 5
First Sergeant 5
Antigua & Barbuda

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:26 am

this isn't really the sort of stuff that can be done safely indoors.
Oh really? :lol:

With sufficient containment, anything in the tens of kilojoules range can be done indoors without much trouble.

Also, we've already seen what happens when you use a sharpened tap for this instead of mild steel. Not very interesting, really.
Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:51 am

DYI wrote:With sufficient containment, anything in the tens of kilojoules range can be done indoors without much trouble.
Fair enough, let's therefore rephrase it to say that I didn't want to bother setting up a temporary shielded range in my workshop :D
Also, we've already seen what happens when you use a sharpened tap for this instead of mild steel. Not very interesting, really.
Where would this forum be if we only did things once? Never said I'm doing something radical here ;)
DYI
First Sergeant 5
First Sergeant 5
Antigua & Barbuda

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:23 am

Fair enough, let's therefore rephrase it to say that I didn't want to bother setting up a temporary shielded range in my workshop
What? You don't have one of those already? :lol:
Where would this forum be if we only did things once?
Moving forward :wink:

On a more serious note, I'm not, as you might have gathered, a big fan of custom made ammunition, where avoidable. Looking at the great barrels of custom sabots you've made recently, I'm guessing we don't share that sentiment.
Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:35 am

DYI wrote:What? You don't have one of those already? :lol:
Nope, hence my liberally ventilated furniture and pock-marked walls. Good thing we don't build houses out of drywall in epoxyland :D
Moving forward :wink:
Touché :)
On a more serious note, I'm not, as you might have gathered, a big fan of custom made ammunition, where avoidable. Looking at the great barrels of custom sabots you've made recently, I'm guessing we don't share that sentiment.
Oh we do. We've all seen the "miniboy syndrome" at work. On the other hand, machining relatively simple shapes out of acetal isn't that much of a chore.
Petitlu
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:22 pm

Great!
Very good results at 18x, with Mix40 and tungsten ...
Why have placed the fins in a shoe?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:32 pm

Petitlu wrote:Why have placed the fins in a shoe?
I wanted to use the same dimensions of fin that I'm sending you (12mm diameter) but since this is 0.75" I had to use a sabot.
Petitlu
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:49 pm

ok I understand better!
The dart arrived very straight, it's good!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:23 pm

Petitlu wrote:The dart arrived very straight, it's good!
Another reason why I wanted to try the same dimensions :) as tungsten carbide is much denser than steel, in your case the centre of gravity will move forward and make them even more stable in flight.