Hid Ballast as a spark generator

Harness the power of precision mixtures of pressurized flammable vapor. Safety first! These are advanced potato guns - not for the beginner.
striker
Private 2
Private 2

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:03 am

Just wondering if any one has used a HID Ballast instead of a coil or other as a spark generator? Looking at other options and ideas
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:08 am

No idea what you were talking about so I looked it up: http://www.blindinghid.com/what-are-ballasts/

Doesn't sound like the sort of thing that is going to provide the high voltage needed to arc through a spark gap...
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
striker
Private 2
Private 2

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:29 am

Im more interested in the start up "strike" voltage- im told its up around the 23kv mark then drops back to 85-150volts to maintain the light,
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:55 am

If it doesn't burn the thing out and that's the voltage output, could be worth a try... also, would you need to carry a 12 volt car battery around with you?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:57 am

There's a lot better options around than HID ballasts, they don't offer much current on the strike voltage, and it's only a quick pulse. Ignition coils driven with a vibrator are far better.

Don't even start Jack, it's a relay set up to oscilate
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
striker
Private 2
Private 2

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:39 am

definitely be giving it the miss then :D Knew there had to be a reason now one else is using one

It going to be trailer mounted any ways so proberly use a car battery for simplicitys sake
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:15 am

Zeus wrote:Don't even start Jack, it's a relay set up to oscilate
hehe recently I had to create some documentation for the qualification and operation something similar to this: http://sturtevantinc.com/micronizer.php

The hopper has a vibrator motor agitating it, I spent ages wondering what to call it in order not to give the plant operators something to chuckle about but in the end there was not much else to refer to it as... and how we laughed! :roll:
mightyfine
Recruit
Recruit

Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:39 pm

hi, i came across this topic regarding using a hid light ballast to generate a spark. i know nothing at all about electrics, so thats why i use it LOL! i might add it is not been used on a projectile throwing pipe thingy :) i admit i have burned a couple out, until i found it does not like earths through the body of the ballast so i have wrapped in silicone tape. it will provide a constant arc (depends on type of ballast?) or a regular spark via a flasher unit/bulb for a resistor/and a relay to power the ballast on and off.it does not like normal resistor spark plugs. anything else is good. with a constant arc (depending on gap) the electrodes will glow white hot. regards jon