Ignition Source Questions

Harness the power of precision mixtures of pressurized flammable vapor. Safety first! These are advanced potato guns - not for the beginner.
cobri
Private
Private

Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:54 am

Guys I will soon start to build my first hybrid so now I am looking for informations. I thought to take stun gun for ignition but dont know wich one. On ebay I can get just those whose power is in milions of V. Should I take one of those with 8 or more milion V or should I look somewhere else for one with 20-30kV?
Or this one would be better choice ?
http://ultimatespudgun.com/30kv-igniter-p-219.html
MrCrowley

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:05 pm

The 30kV one should do the job. I have a similar one myself and although I haven't tested it, it should be fine at 10x mixes. Otherwise, just get whatever is a good size for you. No need for the million + volt stun guns, my first one was about 100kV and did the job fine.
Gleedaniel13
Private 2
Private 2

Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:52 pm

The 30kV one should do the job. I have a similar one myself and although I haven't tested it, it should be fine at 10x mixes. Otherwise, just get whatever is a good size for you. No need for the million + volt stun guns, my first one was about 100kV and did the job fine.
Your source ignition here is really very big. I can say so because I used to see 220v as our source in our house. :)
DYI
First Sergeant 5
First Sergeant 5
Antigua & Barbuda

Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:23 pm

If you can produce an adjustable gap, and set its width with a shim of known thickness, you can use nearly any HV source for hybrid ignition. Including piezoelectric barbecue starters. With a spark gap width of 0.003", I can ignite a mix at 1700psi starting pressure using an electric barbecue starter.

Also, just so you know, none of those stunguns can actually produce a voltage difference over about 50kV, regardless of how many trillion they claim.
Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.