Fueling a very high mix hybrid

Harness the power of precision mixtures of pressurized flammable vapor. Safety first! These are advanced potato guns - not for the beginner.
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:49 am

SpudFarm wrote:I think you both have good points, i think the problem might be the access to smart phones etc from early age. Kids learn that that is where fun comes from and it results in them not eating mud or doing anything practical to build up their creativity and curiosity.
I think future generations is going to lack many qualities like disipline and good work ethics because of it and other reasons.
Kids need to fall out of trees and tip their bike to learn
Exactly right, live and learn!
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:34 am

On fueling. Perhaps this would be impractical for portable use, but either keep your propane bottle indoors prior to use, or preheat said bottle in warm water. Keep the chamber warm too and you shouldn't have any major issues.

On the lack of activity here. I'm just about in my mid 20s, financially I'm less constrained, but there's just not the hours in the day to really tinker. Not to say I haven't been building, but nothing notable really. Not to mention, my standards for something to post are far higher now.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
DYI
First Sergeant 5
First Sergeant 5
Antigua & Barbuda

Mon May 01, 2017 9:46 pm

One possible solution is to use a wort pump and a heating element, and pump warm water through axial channels in the chamber. This is obviously a bit bulky, but given that the chamber alone will mass around 25kg, I presume it's not intended for long hiking trips. The propane tank could either be warmed before heading out and insulated, or jacketed and heated with the same system that warms the chamber.

It may be worth doing some heat flow calculations / testing to see how quickly the assembly will cool when you take it outside. It may well be that insulation alone will solve your problems, without any active heating. After all, your chamber has a heat capacity of about 12kJ/K.

I'm also curious as to how you plan to make that knife-edge seal on the barrel port.
Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.