Small semi automatic hybrid project

Harness the power of precision mixtures of pressurized flammable vapor. Safety first! These are advanced potato guns - not for the beginner.
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:44 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:05 am
hectmarr wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:44 am
This is the trigger frequency I am looking for.
Holy... eres un fenomeno Hector! I really like the electro-mechanical control :D Very promising!
Too bad not being able to use a tank with the mixture formed, because in this way it would be firing automatically in two days, but it is not an option due to the serious danger it involves.
Honestly, I do not think this is as dangerous as it sounds, as long as you have a system of check valves that would prevent any back flow. I do however understand that psychologically one would want to avoid it.

You definitely will need cooling for the combustion chamber, that thing is going to heat up quickly. Maybe some aluminum extrusions intended as heat sinks for electronic components...

As to feeding the ammunition, you already have plenty of experience in this department.

There is energy to spare to make a direct blowback mechanism, or if you're feeling fancy now that there is electronic control, use a solenoid or stepper motor to control it...
hectmarr wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:59 pm
I can't find his posts here on this forum to try to learn something that will serve me well for my project.
here it is: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=26309
Definitely, heat is already a problem in the semi-automatic version, especially in summer, with 38 or 40ºC ...
If the device fires more quickly, it will be a bigger problem, which makes it impossible to use epoxy resin, because as you know, it softens with heat. Very good grip on the aluminum heatsink, I hope that's enough, but only practice will tell.
Thanks for the link to Yasu's posts, :) couldn't find them.
Regarding the bbs charging system powered by the combustion gases themselves, I have built and tested the system. The good thing is that everything is simplified because there is no pneumatic actuator, but regulation is difficult for me. I must say that this system works very well, and I do not rule it out if the moment comes, I can explode at this hectic pace, a hybrid.
The current semi-automatic system is controlled by the same solenoid valve, which lets only a little compressed air pass to the pneumatic cylinder that operates the bolt. The advantage is that it has a lot of strength and speed and the disadvantage that it consumes a little more air ...
90zimara
Private
Private
Columbia

Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:58 am

hectmarr wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:33 am
Oye, amigo. Resulta que no sé cómo enviar mensajes directos en este foro. Hace tres años había estado pidiendo ayuda para crear un cañón híbrido pero desafortunadamente tuve que pausarlo. ¿Usted me podría ayudar? Veo que habla español y que podría utilizar eso, lo siento si te importa mi comentario y muchas gracias de antemano.
Hi. Yes, we can help you together here. You have to make a publication with your project.
Regarding the language, use the google translator or any other, it is just copy and paste.
To publish your project, if you want to release a hybrid cannon, you have to go here: viewforum.php?f=28
Then go top left to "new topic" and that's it. :)
I await your publication. Greetings and welcome to the forum!
aJust did, thanks :3
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:09 am

Honestly, I do not think this is as dangerous as it sounds, as long as you have a system of check valves that would prevent any back flow. I do however understand that psychologically one would want to avoid it.
It is necessary to consider using apart from the check valve system, a flame arrester, of the kind used by acetylene welding equipment.
A possible solution, to simplify everything to the extreme, is to change the butane-air, by HHO, generated by an electrolytic cell. This idea is taking hold in my head because the tank only contains water, and the mixture of wide stoichiometric possibilities makes a dispenser and the related system unnecessary.
When the mixture is formed in the hydrogen cell, it goes directly to the explosion chamber, at a certain pressure. I have not studied the subject in detail, because I do not know if it is possible to compress this HHO mixture without it spontaneously exploding ... Maybe with a pair of one-way valves and a flame extinguishing filter, it can be done. I'm trying to study this topic, and separating the garbage from the serious content, because when it comes to my face, I must be something serious at least. :?
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:22 am

Updating of this project, in this case, the LB VI, (lansa bolillas 6). :)
LB VI.JPG
This prototype is the one that I recently built, which has several important simplifications with respect to the previous one, the first one.
Shoots 5X, .25 caliber steel bbs. The loading in the chamber of the ammunition is automatic, and uses the pressure of the gases to move the bolt back and let the bb pass to be fired.
The ammunition tube holds 11 bb`s. In the front part, it has a microvalve to "remount" the weapon, when the ammunition is already in the chamber. This button is pressed so that it loads the mixture of air and butane. I made it this way, because you can decide for yourself when it's ready to shoot. In the previous model, it was done automatically and you had to be with the gun in your hand, often surrounded by curious friends, distracted myself, ready to shoot if you touch the "trigger", and without shooting... dangerous.
The dispenser is the one I always use, and it burns 3.5 ml of butane with each shot.
I use an external air and external gas tank, and two hoses to feed the gun.
This is the 3/2 micro valve model that I used.

When possible I will make the corresponding video to illustrate its operation.
LB VI (2).JPG
LB VI (3).JPG
LB VI (4).JPG
micro válvula 3.2.jpg
micro válvula 3.2.jpg (27.68 KiB) Viewed 7839 times
Last edited by hectmarr on Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:26 pm

Sistema carga de munición accionado por gases, diagrama, (1).gif
Sistema carga de munición accionado por gases, diagrama, (1).gif (31.55 KiB) Viewed 7836 times
The problem with the automatic loading of balls is that the spring of the tube that houses the ammunition does not survive more than two or three shots because when it opens, the pressure of the explosion expels the bb`s towards the side of the tube cap. destroying the spring, (drawing 1).
The solution is to use the ammunition tube as part of the combustion chamber. In this way, the pressure difference is very small and the bb`s do not move with much energy at the time of the explosion (drawing 2).
When the chamber is compressed, the ammunition tube shutter stem retracts, but not enough to uncover the tube that houses the bb`s. Only when it explodes, it fully retracts and frees the access of a ball to later return by action of the main load spring and press the ball against the retaining o'ring. At the time of precompression, when the stem retracts, the compressed air is responsible for keeping the bb pressed against the retention o'ring, which is what seals the hybrid chamber.
Only the first ammunition is inserted manually, pulling the stem.
Sistema carga munición automático LB VI (2).gif
Sistema carga munición automático LB VI (2).gif (10.67 KiB) Viewed 7836 times
farcticox1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:00 am

I use those little button valves for triggers as well to power air pilot valves.

20220429_065634.jpg
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:38 am

I thought it doesn't last much use, but it works very well, up to 10 bar. I'm about to buy the 5-way, two-position one to shrink everything a bit.
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:15 pm

I share a home video of the firing test of the "LB - VI" semi-automatic pellet launcher. :)
The bb's gas loading drive works perfectly, with the appropriate modifications that I invented for it.
It fires 6.35mm steel bb`s, and can hold 11 in the ammunition tube. The feed works by gravity, and has 5.5X pre-compression pressure. It burns 3.5 ml of butane in each shot, which is managed by the automatic volumetric butane dispenser that it houses inside.
This new design is more compact and has fewer elements than the first prototype, it is an evolution.
What I think for the future is to make a long weapon with more power, but with the same system. In this case, it will shoot 6.35 mm caliber lead pellets.
The compressed air and butane tank are remote. I haven't been able to get a damn small pressure regulator around these parts that regulates between 2 and 12 bar... In the future, when I get it, the long gun will have everything on board. Likewise, the design needs absolutely no modification, because it is the same. Cheers
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:24 am

Simply amazing to see this in action, excellent work as always!
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:46 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:24 am
Simply amazing to see this in action, excellent work as always!
YES, interesting weapon to play. Thank you!! :)