A follow up concept for a design I had once dreamt of.

Harness the power of precision mixtures of pressurized flammable vapor. Safety first! These are advanced potato guns - not for the beginner.
Crimson
Private
Private

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:18 am

Given it's literally in doodle stages right now, but I figured since I have loads of 'free' money and access to a machine shop now, I have the ability design a bit more than a smol project, so I though I'd throw this out here and see what the diy cannon community thought. :D

totally not based off a m114 howitzer...

I'll crunch some numbers once I get to the cad/hardcore cad (paper >.<) stages.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:47 am

Crimson wrote:I though I'd throw this out here and see what the diy cannon community thought. :D
We're generally disapproving of acetylene for safety reasons, favoring fuel/air hybrids for greater power that is easier to control, but if you can build it with a sufficient safety factor it would be fairly awesome.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Crimson
Private
Private

Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:11 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
Crimson wrote:I though I'd throw this out here and see what the diy cannon community thought. :D
We're generally disapproving of acetylene for safety reasons, favoring fuel/air hybrids for greater power that is easier to control, but if you can build it with a sufficient safety factor it would be fairly awesome.
I'm thinking 1.5"+ thick mild steel, but I have yet to figure out pressure ratings and safety margins for anything. (/0_0)/
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:20 pm

Myself, I would avoid acetylene too, but for a totally different reason. If you stick to oxy/propane(or your hydrocarbon of choice), you can always pressurise the chamber for mo power. You already have a rupture disc, regulators, gauges, etc. It's not a whole lot harder to add twice the fuel and pressurise gently with oxygen. Or given that fuel/air mixes tend to offer more power by unit of fuel, then just pressurise with air.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
Crimson
Private
Private

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:56 am

Zeus wrote:Myself, I would avoid acetylene too, but for a totally different reason. If you stick to oxy/propane(or your hydrocarbon of choice), you can always pressurise the chamber for mo power. You already have a rupture disc, regulators, gauges, etc. It's not a whole lot harder to add twice the fuel and pressurise gently with oxygen. Or given that fuel/air mixes tend to offer more power by unit of fuel, then just pressurise with air.
Well, I guess I'll start with propane and see where we land at there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯