Cooking up a little something else...

Harness the power of precision mixtures of pressurized flammable vapor. Safety first! These are advanced potato guns - not for the beginner.
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:16 am

Tonight, my next cannon was born in my mind and my heart started racing. That means this is happening. Not right away, but this will become a reality. Here it is:

It's a machined aluminum, over-under, air-spring-actuated piston hybrid (like my last piston design). Chamber volume is about 300 cubic inches at 2-4X mix. Porting around 1.75". Going after an interchangeable barrel design; 2" for spuds and fruits, soda can barrel and an even larger size for something like softballs or medium-sized soup cans. Maybe a universal changeout barrel design for something small like golf balls as well. Going that small will complicate things though.

The question for now: Does spark placement matter much? Imagine an over-under design where the spark is placed at the end of the chamber near the bend rather than in the middle or at the other end of the chamber. My concern is gasses being pressurized toward the front end with nowhere to go and DDT=BOOM? Probably not. Another concern is bad performance. My understanding is that with a hybrid, it doesn't matter much due to the valve opening pressure dictating much of the performance.
Attachments
spark placement.JPG
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:59 am

A spark at either end gives about the same amount of runup distance, which is to say not much for a normal sized launcher. AFAIK multiple sparks would be even better by eliminating a lot of runup distance, as well as (slightly) improving performance. You can play around in HGDT though and it's not much.

Looks like the Venom, just better. :mrgreen:
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:52 pm

That image is the venom. I just used it to show the spark placement. The new cannon is way different. I'll have something to show before too long. I'm working on the piston housing.
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:53 am

Making good progress. Most of the biggest challenges are solved.
Attachments
PIC 1.JPG
PIC 2.JPG
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:23 pm

Design evolution is happening. I am wanting your thoughts on o-ring blow-out near the port. I show the piston open and closed. Going with aluminum piston and I want fine control over opening pressures and reliable sealing up until the opening pressure is reached. This will also make the cannon a very viable pneumatic with basically no compromises. Pilot pressures will be very low.
So, do you think that o-ring is likely to blow out? I might have to do an experiment where I test a tube with an o-ring and load it in the breach of a cannon and fire it to see if it blows out.
Attachments
piston closed.JPG
piston open.JPG
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:05 pm

Moonbogg wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:23 pm
So, do you think that o-ring is likely to blow out?
What kind of O-ring? I would think you could climb the durometer scale until you found something that stays put.

EDIT: also something you could consider, but you would have to use a longer stroke for the piston to get the same flow and it would introduce some turbulence.
piston open.JPG
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:25 pm

Thanks for the reply, Mark. The ported sleeve is a good idea and I didn't consider that. However, what I am trying to avoid is running over the o-ring with any kind of holes to avoid shredding it over time. I read D-Hall mention you can machine a smooth step to increase the ID to avoid pressure on the O-ring, but I'll try to keep it as simple as I can and avoid any hole contact.
As you suggested, I'm thinking simply choosing the right o-ring will likely be the solution. The o-ring is sitting back and out of the main flow path, so hopefully that helps. If the o-ring was on the front of the piston, I'd have even greater concerns about it getting sucked out. I'm excited about this project. It has double the surface area for flow from the port as my last one and that thing can really chuck a soda can, so this new one should be pretty ludicrous. I'm going for ludicrous.
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:35 am

Moonbogg wrote:
However, what I am trying to avoid is running over the o-ring with any kind of holes to avoid shredding it over time
Good catch.
Moonbogg wrote:
I'm excited about this project. It has double the surface area for flow from the port as my last one
Even more surface area for lightweight discarding sabots. :mrgreen:
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:34 pm

mark.f wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:35 am
Moonbogg wrote:
However, what I am trying to avoid is running over the o-ring with any kind of holes to avoid shredding it over time
Good catch.
Moonbogg wrote:
I'm excited about this project. It has double the surface area for flow from the port as my last one
Even more surface area for lightweight discarding sabots. :mrgreen:
I have yet to experiment with sabots. I have some fun fantasies about using a 3D printer to come up with some good sabots.