Any official studies of Hybrid Cannons?

Harness the power of precision mixtures of pressurized flammable vapor. Safety first! These are advanced potato guns - not for the beginner.
90zimara
Private
Private
Columbia

Tue May 18, 2021 2:12 am

I'm trying to show to my class of thermodynamics a little bit about hybrid cannons but haven't been able to find any, is there any existing article about this type of cannons? It doesn't have to be an official paper by a university, it could as well be just a research you made on your own. Anything that could help me prepare a presentation on it and that I can cite.

If there are no papers, could you help me with some questions I have?

- Descriptive model of hybrid cannons.
- Thermodynamic processes in the system.
- Balance of the 1st law of thermodynamics on the system for: Propellent and mobile wall (probably mobile wall is not the name in english, sorry).
- What are some initial operating conditions?
- How can I establish the propellant gas system pressure path from the heat transfer energy and work interactions.
- The maximum force supplied to the boundary (wall) product of the pressure path of the system.

I know I might be asking for quite a lot but any help is very much welcome and thank you for your support, I want to let my class know how fantastic this kind of projects are.

PD: I also accept spanish responses if somebody wants to DM me, it might me easier as that is my first language.
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Tue May 18, 2021 4:03 am

Plenty to study here
90zimara
Private
Private
Columbia

Tue May 18, 2021 4:06 am

jrrdw wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 4:03 am
Plenty to study here
I am looking for more like an article kind of thing 😅
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Tue May 18, 2021 8:57 am

Perhaps you should associate the physical phenomena that occur in a hybrid, with machines that produce mechanical energy in the same way, but that are something else, for example an internal combustion engine.
It has there, a fuel, air, a spark plug and an explosion, in a cylinder. Imagine a motorcycle cylinder that has the piston locked at its top dead center, with the mixture compressed, and you let the hot gas expand through the exhaust valve, because the piston is locked there. Maybe it fits with the Otto cycle, or some variation of this thermodynamic process.
Generally, they are all the same processes, with different applications.
Work generated by a gas under pressure that expands ...What I mean is that you look for well studied models that match a hybrid weapon. There is a lot of material on YouTube, you have to search a bit. I learn with this channel, because I like the teacher, first of all! 8-)
Last edited by hectmarr on Tue May 18, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Tue May 18, 2021 9:15 am

motor arrma.png
It is like in the drawing, where the energy of the gas is used to drive by reaction, in this specific case, or to drive by pressure a piston attached to a crankshaft, or to accelerate a projectile and several other things.
With respect to the initial operating conditions, you must have: 1 a mixture of air and fuel in flammable proportions, that is, with the appropriate stoichiometric ratio. This must be contained in a pressure resistant chamber, and a source of ignition, usually an electrical spark, just like the spark plugs in a car. The air-fuel or oxygen-fuel mixture must have a pressure greater than atmosphere. A 4X hybrid has the mixture compressed at 4 times atmospheric pressure, somewhat similar to the compression ratio in the cylinder of a motorcycle.
mobile chernobyl
Corporal 3
Corporal 3
United States of America

Tue May 18, 2021 9:58 pm

This is one of the few examples I remember of a publicly available paper from Utron's contracted government research project for a "Combustion Light Gas Gun" (CLGG) - A.K.A. a badass hybrid that many strived here to get close to.

Full paper here: https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA462130.pdf

Good abridged slideshow version here: https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovclou ... iDavid.pdf

Utron later used this research IP to create powdered metal compaction machines. Basically compacting powdered metals into shapes like forging but with hybrid combustion powered rams vs. hydraulics.
D_Hall
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5
United States of America

Donating Members

Sat May 22, 2021 4:46 pm

mobile chernobyl wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:58 pm
This is one of the few examples I remember of a publicly available paper from Utron's contracted government research project for a "Combustion Light Gas Gun" (CLGG) - A.K.A. a badass hybrid that many strived here to get close to.

Full paper here: https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA462130.pdf
There is also a DTIC paper out there on Vera... But I'm not going to dig it up.
Simulation geek (GGDT / HGDT) and designer of Vera.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed May 26, 2021 8:19 am

D_Hall wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 4:46 pm
There is also a DTIC paper out there on Vera... But I'm not going to dig it up.
Do you mean this presentation or was there something more detailed?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
D_Hall
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5
United States of America

Donating Members

Fri May 28, 2021 1:06 am

I remember a paper that went with that presentation, but now that I think about it.... That may not have been public release. Not sure.
Simulation geek (GGDT / HGDT) and designer of Vera.