Single-pump handgun

Harness the power of precision mixtures of pressurized flammable vapor. Safety first! These are advanced potato guns - not for the beginner.
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:02 pm

New design and prototype of the single-pump handgun, the "Plink .25".
It shoots 6.35 mm steel bb's, because I'm interested in reusing ammunition. There is no point in wasting lead, (more expensive), on this weapon designed for plinking, simply.
The pre-compression pressure is 6X and it can go through a couple of soup cans, not very thick wood, etc.
The compression tube is 16 mm, which results in it not being very hard to compress. It uses about 35 cm3 of air and 1.5 cm3 of butane that comes from a common lighter, which acts as a refillable fuel tank.
It has a motorcycle spark plug associated with a common piezoelectric spark gap. The design of having the piston above the firing barrel, (a 1/4" copper tube), makes the gun more compact and the barrel longer, about 33 cm.
It is different in its shape from the "Strong Boy", the prototype from which this weapon derives, which has fewer components, this is much simpler and more compact, and allows you to insert the bb's, without using any magnet or spring, always from one in one.
It has the components welded with autogenous welding, and the lock is in the front part, as seen in the photos.
I will be commenting on future updates that are already devised but not yet built.
Plink .25 (1).jpg
Plink .25 (2).jpg
Plink .25 (3).jpg
Plink .25 (4).jpg
Plink .25 (5).jpg
Plink .25 (6).jpg
Plink .25 (7).jpg
Plink .25 (8).jpg
Plink .25 dibujo.png
Plink .25 dibujo.png (11.96 KiB) Viewed 6960 times
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:10 pm

Small video that shows the operation of this short weapon.

Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:53 pm

That is impressive. So compact yet powerful. Very well done!
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:26 pm

It is possible to increase the output energy by at least 30%, because it is not very hard to compress, (about 9 - 10 kg), but since the objective is to mark the objective, only that, I have decided that the energy does not exceed that, and not too hard to compress, I mean comfortable to operate. Thanks for your comment! :)
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:33 pm

Very nicely done, I remember we had talked about this configuration here and you've implemented it beautifully as always :D

I love the butane lighter incorporated into the grip for filling and from your video operation seems extremely smooth.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:03 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:33 pm
Very nicely done, I remember we had talked about this configuration here and you've implemented it beautifully as always :D

I love the butane lighter incorporated into the grip for filling and from your video operation seems extremely smooth.
The gun is set for approximately 50% compression comfort and 50% firing force.
With about 10 kg of force is enough to compress it, comfortable.
Actually the comfort comes from not having to connect or disconnect hoses, not having to look at pressure gauges or having the need to open and close valves etc etc. I think that being a practical weapon in its operation is the best thing about it, always being a hybrid weapon. You just have to carry a small canister of cigarette lighter gas and a ball and strip all day...
On the other hand, the economy of materials is very attractive. I imagine that in the future I will make a complete steel one, with an excellent finish, in the style of commercial weapons.
Model 2, which I am starting to build, has automatic gas loading, automatic combustion chamber cleaning and automatic bb's loading.
The operation is even simpler than this model 1. You open the bolt, close the bolt and shoot!
Apart from these improvements, you can regulate the compression from a few bars to what your muscles give, adding or removing some washers that vary the size of the combustion chamber...
The added complexity is little, depending on the best added features, because it is all the same with the addition of a moving piston and some o'rings in the rear, and a small ammunition tube.
The economic cost is low, I am talking about CNC machining the few parts it has, and that is, in my opinion, very important.
It is a weapon that never fails, 100 shots leave 100 bb`s, I was testing it all afternoon today. Durability should be high, because with the right materials, it should have very little wear.
I forgot to mention that the black fairing and the grip are fiberglass, I plan to print them in 3D, when the time comes.
I would say that it is the simplest to use hybrid (regardless of its size and caliber) that exists. Bad luck of not having capital to perfect it and to be able to manufacture several.
Something that I would like to try, is to build one with two cannons, which compress one first and the other later, and you have two shots, it would be a more interesting toy.
Thank you for your comment Jack, greetings to you. :)
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:00 am

An idea that can be used is embodied in a very low-power compressed air gun, which was very popular around here a few decades ago. To compress the spring, you have to rest the barrel of the gun against a hard surface, floor. The main advantage is that you can use almost your entire body weight to generate the compression force greater than just the force of your arms. About 50kg maybe? considering that I weigh about 80 kg... 8-)
It should have a semi-rigid support at the tip of the barrel, you could try a long gun.
This weapon is of national manufacture, and is currently discontinued.
The video is not technical, because the person who produces it does not know anything about air guns, he only buys and shows, but it is enough to see how this old AC pistol works in terms of operation.
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:02 am

Looks great! I like the cleverness of how it works, I can tell this has been through many iterations even without looking at the hybrid section of the forum. ;)
Good work as always.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:51 am

hectmarr wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:03 pm
I plan to print them in 3D, when the time comes.
That's good to hear, do you have your own 3D printer or have access to one?
Something that I would like to try, is to build one with two cannons, which compress one first and the other later, and you have two shots, it would be a more interesting toy.
I like where this is going :D

I would say that it is the simplest to use hybrid (regardless of its size and caliber) that exists. Bad luck of not having capital to perfect it and to be able to manufacture several.
It would be the liability insurance that would worry me, and don't assume that the average user is as intellectually capable as the man that designed it :roll: sometimes we dream of monetizing our hobbies but in reality work will always be work.
An idea that can be used is embodied in a very low-power compressed air gun, which was very popular around here a few decades ago.
The "Gat" air pistol also uses this design that was patented in 1871 Henry Quackenbush.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:51 pm

Very good contribution the patent of this system. I couldn't find anything, myself, regarding this. Thank you very much for sharing
I have a 3D printer but it's not mine, it's my friend's. He is doing the CAD drawings of this gun.
I've been asked to build 5 or 6 guns just like this one by hobbyists who saw it. What I think about selling, that's why, and I thought about it after this. I'm not going to do this by hand, I just did it for myself, that's why I'm opening the game to people I know who have CNC machinery, and know how to operate it. There would already be a character interested in financing a print run of 30 pistols, but I work with my friend, (he is an engineer), in the adaptation of the prototype for the infinite possibilities of numerical control machines. At least it could finance some more weapons in terms of its development. We will see.
What I find useful, (that's why I brought the mobile cannon gun here from the video), is to use the weight of the body to compress the mixture, totally, against the ground, or partially, against a wall, tree or something like that. I would like it to be like a crossbow that has a stirrup at the front point to put the foot, and bend the bow, although in this case it works in reverse.
The pre-compression that could be achieved is much more than just using the strength of the arms... Logically, it is for a long gun, more powerful than this pistol I made, but just as simple to operate when shooting. It was just an idea. :evil: