HA X240 Prototype BB Gun

Building or modifying BB, Airsoft, and Pellet type of guns. Show off your custom designs, find tips and other discussion. Target practice only!
Hurricane Air Arms
Private 4
Private 4
New Zealand

Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:50 am

Greetings,

I've been using this forum for atleast a year now having a look at everyone's problems and solutions and have found it to be quite handy. So in this presentation I'll be giving back a little of my own knowledge :wink:

Keep in mind this is an ugly prototype (as seen by the glue and poor workmanship in some areas, in fact if you look closely the scope is just sitting there to imitate an optic - but rest assured it does mount :wink: )

So without further delay here is my 6mm air gun and a few accompanying photos.

Information
Name: X-HA 240 Survivor II (Prototype, Hurricane Arms, 240 cal, survival gun, version II)
Intention: Plinking
Type: Air Rifle
Weight: Light
Length: 90cm
Barrel Length: 45cm
Calibre: 240/6mm
Powerplant: HA-M2 HPA Tank (100ml cast iron threaded HPA Tank with Custom Built "Shrader")
Muzzle Velocity: Not known... Fast, upwards of 450fps at the least
Action: Single shot, Direct barrel/valve impingment
ROF: 6 High powered shots per minute, 12+ lower powered
Range: 25m (plastic)
Max Eff Range: 75m (steel bearings)
Feed Sys: Tripple-action manual loading breach

(SORRY FOR THE INCONSISTENT IMAGE QUALITY - MY UPLOAD SPEEDS WERE BOUNCING)

Front

Rear - Pump can be seen latching on to the HPA tank. The PVC was sliced down the middle to allow the tank to fit. A very tight fit indeed :shock:

Open Breach (Stage 1)

Closed Breach (Stage 2)

HA-M2 HPA Tank with rusting showing, this rust occured wherever the tank was filed down to allow it to fit within the PVC bodies rear.

Operation

"HOW DOES IT WORK?"
The barrel and trigger are connected.
Pushing the trigger forward (stage 1) opens the breach, allowing a BB to be inserted manually into the rear of the barrel
Pulling the trigger back into the threaded outter breach of the HPA Tank against the strong valve (stage 2) loads the weapon and cams it in.
Pump the tank with the opposing ends shrader and compact bike pump (Shown)
Pull the trigger back a second time and a custom built shrader inside the tank opens relieving the sole o-ring and exerting pressure on the tank spring as the air is dumped through 4 tiny pilot holes through the stem into the barrel. (Explosive Release Valve at this stage).
6mm BB leaves perfect 6mm barrel at high speeds.
Repeat.

My thoughts and an overview...
This prototype was meant to test how well the barrel could be integrated into the valve with the trigger to produce a smooth pull which hid the valves operation. Other tests conducted included penetration. At 3 metres, plastic BB's would shoot through most pages of a 96page module/workbook.

With steel BB's (My Special Penetrene-soaked ones), the gun had no issue completely piercing these books and even bouncing back. My guess is that pointed or tipped ammo would be viable for hunting with these results alone.

I hated this weapon because of it's ergonomics. It was very uncomfortable to hold (prototype...) and lacked the stability at this stage for a moving barrel trigger system. The mount was also terrible, the scope was too far back and the plumbers glue did not hold.

Pros:
Very fast firing for a single shot breach loader.
Simple and high powered

Issues:
Very steep load angle meant BB's fell into gaps around the breach...
Tank could be smaller.

With what I learned and succeeded with here - What's next:

The X-HA 240 III Automag (Finished gravity feed internal mag model of what you've just seen with far better of everything).
Thank you for checking this out :P ask away if need be!
Last edited by Hurricane Air Arms on Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord said "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?"

And I said

"Here am I...

...Send me"
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:30 am

Nicely put together, any chance of a diagram though? I'm having a hard time understanding how the valve works.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Hurricane Air Arms
Private 4
Private 4
New Zealand

Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:15 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Nicely put together, any chance of a diagram though? I'm having a hard time understanding how the valve works.
Done

And I said

"Here am I...

...Send me"
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:16 pm

What is this, a diagram for ants? :lol:

Here we go:

I see, pushing directly on the valve with the barrel.

Not the most consistent of valve opening times but it looks like it does the job.
Last edited by jackssmirkingrevenge on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Hurricane Air Arms
Private 4
Private 4
New Zealand

Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:22 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Image

What is this, a diagram for ants? :lol:

Here we go:

I see, pushing directly on the valve with the barrel.

Not the most consistent of valve opening times but it looks like it does the job.
The valve opening occurs across the space of less than 1cm making it better than a ball valve (which was the intention).
That aside it is very primitive and requires the operators trigger pull to be consistent ;)

And I said

"Here am I...

...Send me"
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:22 pm

Ah damn, spudfiles shrunk the image! Edited by rehosting on imgur, I think it's better if you use the spudfiles uploader.
Hurricane Air Arms
Private 4
Private 4
New Zealand

Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:05 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Ah damn, spudfiles shrunk the image! Edited by rehosting on imgur, I think it's better if you use the spudfiles uploader.
You get the jist though.

Typically it is better suited to a constant flowing full-auto BBMG.

But I plan on having such a tiny 3rd stage trigger pull for the final model, that the operators "error" (too slow of a pull) will be reduced to almost nill. Eventually it will become a matter of knowing the gun :wink: and since I'm the only one firing it (so far) that won't be a problem!

Nice to meet you by the by.

HA.

And I said

"Here am I...

...Send me"