Suppressors for uncapped (unlimited rof) BBMG’s?

Building or modifying BB, Airsoft, and Pellet type of guns. Show off your custom designs, find tips and other discussion. Target practice only!
Hurricane Air Arms
Private 4
Private 4
New Zealand

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:08 am

For those of us who like making cloud/vortex bbmg’s with huge internal magazines, how many of you have had genuine success dampening the sound of your creations? How did you build your suppressors?

Back in 2010 when I was getting into BBMG’s, I struggled to hush my BBMG (A 6mm plastic spitter that would dump 30 rounds in a second).

Initially I used a female pvc coupling as a makeshift shround that I would thread a male coupling to. The insulation material, Felt Dampening cloth, would just sit inside an open suppressor with a 10mm escape he for the BB’s.

I managed to partly moderate the sound and even reduxe some Db’s. Which was great!

However I feel that, no matter how good the suppressor, the pure volume of ammo going down range truly hinders any chance to really have a genuinely quiet, uncapped ROF, bbmg.

Most of my sound suppressing success has come from single shot or semi auto airguns.

Thoughts?
The Lord said "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?"

And I said

"Here am I...

...Send me"
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:09 am

Conventional suppressors on full auto rely on the fact that the pressure wave is "pulsed" for the pressure to drop in the suppressor between shots.

[youtube][/youtube]

BBMGs tend to have a constant gas flow however you can argue that the BB temporarily blocking the barrel as it travels down it does indeed provide a "pulse" albeit a brief one:

[youtube][/youtube]

In this regard you want the suppressor volume to be as large as possible in order to avoid excess pressure buildup, perhaps include vent holes that are plugged with something similar to a sintered air line silencer that allows the air to go through but via a series of very fine holes:

a 10mm escape he for the BB’s
For maximum effect, the baffle holes should be as close to the projectile diameter as possible.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life