Using a piston to power a BBMG

Building or modifying BB, Airsoft, and Pellet type of guns. Show off your custom designs, find tips and other discussion. Target practice only!
Hurricane Air Arms
Private 4
Private 4
New Zealand

Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:23 am

I'm sure at some stage we've all thought about it and I'm always trying to push boundaries.

So here's what I've come up with, instead of using a short, narrow piston to fire off a single pellet, what about a long, wide piston (like 40-50cm) with a powerful spring drawn to the rear to create the power supply for a BBMG?

You'd potentially unleash 15-30 bb's with an endless supply of spring power.

There's a few problems to this, but many solutions, and I want you guys to chime in and hear me out on this.

If there's a piston, held back by a trigger, how do you control the burst/auto fire?
- Using a mini T-style valve-trigger to open and close the air transfer port. Definitely do-able.

When you pull the piston back and relax it under pressure, the air forward of it will compress and "sponge"
- They way I see it, is if the air remains in the chamber, it'll transfer regardless of how compressed it gets while it waits.

You're only dealing with about 70psi at 1 litre, how do you expect to conserve air and consistency?
- Mini Blow forward bolt

Thoughts?
Attachments
AGB03STEN.png
bbmgpiston2.png
The Lord said "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?"

And I said

"Here am I...

...Send me"
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:33 am

Interesting thought.

I have in the past used a single burst of air from a piston valve to fire multiple BBs:

[youtube][/youtube]

I doubt that you'd get multiple bursts from a single spring compression, there isn't enough air in the chamber to last and also, consider that in a spring powered airgun there's a certain momentum that helps the piston compress the air in a single stroke - if you're braking that stroke, then the pressure generated is going to be limited. At best I think that in practice you would get something similar to a spring powered airgun that fires a burst of projectiles instead of one pellet.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Hurricane Air Arms
Private 4
Private 4
New Zealand

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:26 am

Thanks Jack. Great info as always! Is that video from a pellet or BB gun?
The Lord said "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?"

And I said

"Here am I...

...Send me"
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:37 am

Hurricane Air Arms wrote:Is that video from a pellet or BB gun?
It's from the prototype I liked to, firing 0.177" steel BBs: http://www.spudfiles.com/airsoft-pellet ... 11314.html
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
farcticox1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:21 pm

I think it would be good for a single burst/shotgun or grenade launcher :idea:
8)
download.jpg
download.jpg (5.93 KiB) Viewed 3371 times
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:10 am

farcticox1 wrote:I think it would be good for a single burst/shotgun or grenade launcher
A more hardcore version of the bug-a-salt

[youtube][/youtube]