Yet another help request

Building or modifying BB, Airsoft, and Pellet type of guns. Show off your custom designs, find tips and other discussion. Target practice only!
cur
Recruit
Recruit
United States of America

Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:02 pm

Hello guys. I will try to keep it short. I am a total beginner who would like to learn to build a pneumatic semi-automatic BB gun as a self-defense weapon, purely for educational purposes. And this is not a sarcasm, as I am an engineer who loves to dig in ideas just for fun. I came across several videos where people built air rifles that are formidable, and I was wondering how one builds one, which ended me up here. As many have suggested, I have browsed the forum for help and to find what I am looking for, but most of the links are not working anymore, and the ones that are working are either too complicated for me or some are too little documented. After 6-8 hours of reading here, I decided to start my own topic, and I can compile the things that are going to be written here, for future reference. So here I go:

I would like to learn to build a semi-automatic BB gun that operates with enough power to damage a "realistic" target. The first questions:

- How do I 'start' designing these things? Is there a drawing software? I have seen couple of options, such as Google Sketchup and ... Gun Design Tool (I forgot the whole name unfortunately).

- Is there a resource to learn the designing part?

Next, for pneumatic cannons, Spudfiles Wiki has the following:
  • Compressed gas storage reservoir (chamber for short)
    • How can I determine the pressure capability of a chamber? Lets say I have determined the capability of a chamber. Then, how can I verify that the entire system will tolerate the pressure range of the chamber?
  • Filling valve (bicycle Schrader valves, quick disconnects, etc.)
    • This part looks the easiest as the idea is straightforward.
  • Firing valve (ball valves, sprinkler valves, piston valves, bolt-style valves(see piston valves) quick-exhaust valves, and burst disks are the most common)
    • Now, my question is here. After hours of reading, I understood how QEV valves work. The problem is that I never figure out how these QEV rifles are semi-automatic. In other words, how the gun reloads itself automatically? There is a gif associated with 'Caselman' type guns which seemed very nice, but I cant wrap my head around it. It looks extremely delicate and complex.
  • Barrel
    • I would like to learn building something small, like .177 perhaps. The key is for me, again, I would like to learn building a semi-auto, and from what I have read, the barrel is also important when the design is semi-auto, and barrel must have according modifications to receive pellets.
  • Pressure gauge (for safety & repeatable launches)
    • No need required on this part
I am sorry if this became bulky and complex. In essence, I would like to learn to build a QEV Semi-auto .177 BB gun. However, the topic seemed so vast, that although I kept reading for a good amount of time, I couldn't figure out how/where to start and some of the things went above my head.

Any help is much appreciated!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:40 am

Welcome to the forum! That's a lot of questions and indeed if you're completely new to the subject the amount of information here can be overwhelming.
a pneumatic semi-automatic BB gun as a self-defense weapon, purely for educational purposes
It's worth noting that this forum frowns upon any discussion of shooting animate targets, and rightly so, however "enough power to damage a "realistic" target" is a good enough design criterion.

A good question to start with is what is your budget and what tools and materials do you have access to?

A QEV semi-auto can be made with mostly off-the-shelf parts requiring more assembly than fabrication, but as it essential dumps the firing chamber for every shot, it is a very inefficient design. This means that in order to get decent power of of it, then it will be big and bulky. A hammer valve that only dispenses a "sip" of air from the primary chamber is a better idea, I've made that case here, but it is more difficult to build especially if all you have in your workshop is a vice and power drill. Let us know a bit more about your situation and the advice you receive will be more pertinent.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life