Machined pengun - Dimply

Miniature guns are novelty custom, unique, and sometime downright crude! Common construction materials often include pill bottles or pens. Show us your work!
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:18 am

I'm confused as to why this needs to be so complicated... Or are you simply looking for a way to trigger the detent?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:31 am

saefroch wrote:I'm confused as to why this needs to be so complicated...
Attachments
sinceapicturespeaksathousandwords.PNG
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:38 am

And those are difficult to machine?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:47 am

saefroch wrote:And those are difficult to machine?
Those what exactly?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:16 am

The detent designs.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:31 am

saefroch wrote:The detent designs.
The ball detent designs are relatively easy to make, I know because I've made one already.

An o-ring detent is however preferable for several reasons, namely it has the dual function of both holding and sealing the projectile, as well as holding the projectile over its entire circumference as opposed to specific points like the ball detent.
LeMaudit
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Donating Members

Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:01 am

OMG!
I might have simplified the design... well... sorta...
It's easier to machine at least ;-)

lots of holes, no thread (look Ma!), and a bit of epoxy for flavour.
Attachments
o-rings&balls.png
I HAZ A BANG!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:05 am

Is that your camera in the reflection on the bearing? :lol:
The problem is still how to secure the front for the oring can stay in place.
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:12 am

LeMaudit wrote:lots of holes, no thread (look Ma!), and a bit of epoxy for flavour.
I considered this but my fear is that not putting pressure on the o-ring evenly will cause it to leak, and anyhing more than 4 holes is pushing it for a cartridge.

Making another attempt at a "conventional" burst disk hybid cartridge in the meantime :)
Is that your camera in the reflection on the bearing?
Yes, I totally didn't take a stock image from the interwebs or something :D
LeMaudit
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Donating Members

Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:53 am

not putting pressure on the o-ring evenly will cause it to leak
What do you mean?
Under pressure the ball will seal against it, and adjusting the dimensions of the o-ring/ball diameter to have the appropriate recess for the o-ring should do the trick? (it could be tricky though)

[edit] now understand what you mean... I had to check again "evenly" on the english dictionary :lol:
anyhing more than 4 holes is pushing it for a cartridge.
Are you concerned about the brass resistance that could break with all the holes in the circumference of the o-ring? hmmm... maybe... but it can be pretty thick by adjusting this design dimensions.

IMO if the o-ring is capable of keeping the projectile without tearing, the brass will keep its integrity, even with several holes in it. I believe the o-ring will be crunch way before the brass tear apart.

But the truth is I would have very little confidence in this idea of using a o-ring to keep the projectile from been fired... it would certainly not be my final choice; I find it way way too dangerous for a cartridge. My addition doesn't change the original's unsafe design (again, IMO)
Attachments
o-rings&balls2.png
o-rings&balls2.png (13.75 KiB) Viewed 2725 times
Last edited by LeMaudit on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I HAZ A BANG!
Insomniac
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:54 am

Haha nice JSR, so if the posting order goes Saefroch, me and then Saefroch, we'll get a pretty good documentation of the life cycle of a phoenix? :D

And to Crna Legija, I guess that's what happens when I don't look at the diagram very closely, while simultanously forgetting that JSR probably isn't daft enough to make such an obvious mistake... ...Probably. :wink:
I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
LeMaudit
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Donating Members

Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:53 am

This one would have a evenly :-D seal, well... almost all around, here in green a simple brass or steel ring split in 4 (or more) sections. Easy to do for a "Man with Machines" :wink:
The small ball bearings would limit friction for the external ring detent.
And I feel this is safer, because if the o-ring fail, it will leak air without letting the projectile shoot (right in your eye).
Attachments
o-rings&balls3.png
I HAZ A BANG!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:18 pm

LeMaudit wrote:But the truth is I would have very little confidence in this idea of using a o-ring to keep the projectile from been fired... it would certainly not be my final choice; I find it way way too dangerous for a cartridge. My addition doesn't change the original's unsafe design (again, IMO)
I can personally attest that an o-ring detent will hold a projectile after a 20x mix combustion ;)
This one would have a evenly :D seal, well... almost all around, here in green a simple brass or steel ring split in 4 (or more) sections. Easy to do for a "Man with Machines" Wink
The small ball bearings would limit friction for the external ring detent.
And I feel this is safer, because if the o-ring fail, it will leak air without letting the projectile shoot (right in your eye).

This looks like it will work! But for a cartridge, too many parts...
Insomniac wrote:JSR probably isn't daft enough to make such an obvious mistake... ...Probably. :wink:
Stranger things have happened :D
LeMaudit
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Donating Members

Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:27 pm

I can personally attest that an o-ring detent will hold a projectile after a 20x mix combustion
I don't doubt that for a single second... but will it hold it safely enough for you to put the cartridge in your pocket, near some... say... private parts?
Without a positive strong lock that forbid the firing no matter what could go wrong, this design awaken the chicken in me :lol:
Safety measures apply to loaded guns, but when you manipulate a cartridge, you may point it in whatever direction without thinking.

This looks like it will work! But for a cartridge, too many parts...
A Brockock cartridge have his load of parts too. And you know now that a single part with a difficult cut can take as much time as 10 simple ones.
For a full auto, it's most certainly too complex to build in quantity... but for a 6 shooter, hey.. I kinda like the design! It's certainly the most compact, safer and better sealing that I imagined so far for this kind of locking mechanism.
The splitted ring, which is the most complex part, could be made easily with a bit of planning, starting with thick walls tube and cutting/splitting in sequence.
I HAZ A BANG!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:37 pm

Had an idea in the shower combining balls and ring, but I'm running late so no tine to sketch, hope I remember it when I get back!