YACC (Yet Another Combustion Cartridge)

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
mega_swordman
Corporal
Corporal

Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:01 am

I have been mulling around with an idea for a combustion cartridge. My inspiration came from JSR's design, but I didn't quite like his ring idea. Instead, I came up with a design that incorporates a spark strip-like design.

In the front of the cartridge is a piece of aluminum tape to act as a burst disk and make sure the gas won't escape. This design does not provide a location to fill the gas in the chamber for I am unsure where to place it (a good location suggestion would be appreciated).

My question (short of will it work) is: if I have the two connections on the screw heads, will the electricity travel through both gaps, or just the closest one?

EDIT: I realized that because these are wired in parallel, this design won't work. I have remade my design, as seen below.

Thank you for any help you can give.
Attachments
Version 2
Version 2
Combustion Cartridge V3.png (3.06 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
Last edited by mega_swordman on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." George S. Patton
starman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Donating Members

Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:11 am

The fill location will depend entirely on the breech design on your cannon. I would be inclined to mount it in the rear and move the exterior spark gap contact to somewhere on the outer diameter of the "chamber".

Can I assume the blue box represents your projectile?

Yes, spark gaps must run in series with each other if driven by the same spark source. Therefore the first (top) drawing is correct. I would just delete the bottom drawing to help avoid confusion.
jimmy101
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:03 pm

You probably don't need any type of a fill port for the propane.

1. Take a cartridge.
2. From the front of the open shell inject the correct amount of fuel into the back using a small ID piece of hose attached to a syringe or meter.
3. Drop the ammo in the top of the shell.
4. Seal the top of the shell with tape or something similar.

Propane doesn't diffuse all that fast. You should be able to work with the open shell for at least several seconds before the fuel can escape. Inject the fuel into the bottom of the shell and it'll stay there for more than long enough to get the round and seal in place.
VH_man
Staff Sergeant 4
Staff Sergeant 4

Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:08 pm

I fill up my PB combustion with the chamber wide open, It works fine.

Looks like a good design. Im exited for the results!
psycix
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4

Donating Members

Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:42 am

:D
Attachments
version fail! :)
version fail! :)
fail.PNG (1.75 KiB) Viewed 2652 times
Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
jimmy101
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:24 pm

If you really want a fill port you might be able to just drill a very small hole (perhaps 1/16" D or smaller) and inject the fuel with a needle. Cover the hole with a piece of tape. The tape wouldn't have to be all that strong to withstand the force of firing.
starman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Donating Members

Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:33 pm

jimmy101 wrote:If you really want a fill port you might be able to just drill a very small hole (perhaps 1/16" D or smaller) and inject the fuel with a needle. Cover the hole with a piece of tape. The tape wouldn't have to be all that strong to withstand the force of firing.
You could always tap a small hole, 8-32 threads I think they are, and screw a computer case thumb screw in there to close it up. Just twist the screw out to refuel then back on to close.
mega_swordman
Corporal
Corporal

Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:42 pm

starman wrote: You could always tap a small hole, 8-32 threads I think they are, and screw a computer case thumb screw in there to close it up. Just twist the screw out to refuel then back on to close.
I think this would work the best. Either that or I just take a brass plug to fill up a hole.

Also, in regards to the picture versions. My version 2 of the design was so bad, I decided to omit it all together.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." George S. Patton
starman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Donating Members

Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:36 pm

mega_swordman wrote:Also, in regards to the picture versions. My version 2 of the design was so bad, I decided to omit it all together.
Good man... :wink:
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:27 am

Agreed with the above in that you can fill through the mouth of the cartridge and cap it with the projectile, that's what I did with mine.

Also, why the flow restriction?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
psycix
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4

Donating Members

Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:05 pm

Probably to make sure the projectile does not fall down in the chamber.
This could be achieved with a simple bolt though.
Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
mega_swordman
Corporal
Corporal

Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:25 pm

psycix wrote:
Probably to make sure the projectile does not fall down in the chamber.
This could be achieved with a simple bolt though.
Correct. And that does sound much more practical now that I think about it :oops:
mega_swordman
Corporal
Corporal

Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:02 am

I apologize in advance for the double post, but I felt as though this would make more sense if I gave it its own message.

I have finalized the combustion cartridge idea. Your advice was good and I implemented it within the new design. Also, I am going to "borrow" some ideas in this project. Namely, the spark strip from starman's "Tripe Thunder". Also, I decided against just spraying in the front because I wanted to have it be a bit more exact. Instead, the back has a brass plug that will be threaded into another "borrowed" idea, homedepotpro's propane meter.

Hopefully, construction of this project will commence soon. Thanks again.
Attachments
Combustion Cartridge V4.png
Combustion Cartridge V4.png (3.18 KiB) Viewed 2593 times
starman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Donating Members

Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:44 am

mega_swordman wrote:Instead, the back has a brass plug that will be threaded into another "borrowed" idea, homedepotpro's propane meter.
If you're going to use HomeDepotPro's injector, why don't you install a female quick connect to receive it instead of the brass plug? It self seals and is super easy to connect...

I like your decisions here.... 8) Of course I am a little biased... :roll:
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:52 am

Some points you might want to consider:

- Given that combustions need a roughly 1:1 ratio, cartridge the same diameter as barrel = very short barrel or very long cartridge

- Too many studs jutting out of the cartridge body, not conducive to smooth feeding if indeed you plan a feeding mechanism

- The bolt stopping the projectile doesn't need to extend across the whole diameter of the cartridge

- Using a syringe, adding fuel through the mouth of the cartridge is a perfectly good way to fill it.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life