Infinite lifetime spud gun igniter for 3$

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
RICHARDakaCHUCK
Private
Private

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:21 pm

Solid state switch I changed into machanic button and instead of 555 timer I used 2 transistors. It's cheaper in this way. And another reason is that it is realy hard to get such things like ic's in my town so I designed something different...
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:05 pm

Hotwired wrote: Heck I've made one and there's no simpler way of doing it.
The simplest is simply an igniter coil as used on antique gas engines. A battery, coil, and switch. Doesn't get much simpler.

http://www.rustyiron.com/engines/ltcoil/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_tension_coil
jimmy101
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:55 pm

Hotwired wrote:You can't make anything more simple and cheap than those gas ignition things.

They're a battery -> oscillator -> capacitor -> solid state switch -> HV coil.

Heck I've made one and there's no simpler way of doing it.
battery -> relay -> cap -> ignition coil
Don't need a solid state switch since a suitable switch is built into the relay. Don't need an oscillator since it is a capability of the relay.

edit: oops didn't look at the 2nd page. Tech said the same thing.
Hotwired
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:22 pm

The specifics were:
RICHARDakaCHUCK wrote:I'm really interested in cheap, simple and compact ignitor research.
So yes, I see your beer can sized automotive ignition coil based ignition and I raise you two rapid sparking homemade CDI systems that can fit inside that beer can*

*depending on the size of can, maybe more.
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:14 pm

RICHARDakaCHUCK wrote:I'm really interested in cheap, simple and compact ignitor research.
<div align="center">Image</div>

Cheap, simple, and compact.

Unless you had another aim in mind? Like convenience, flexibility, or the "coolness" factor of doing your own electronics. :wink:
RICHARDakaCHUCK
Private
Private

Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:46 am

I have nothing aginst these pjezoelectric ignitors, excep their lifetime. They will die ater few thousand ignitions... My aim is to make simple, cheap, powerful and compact ignitor which will last forever. And i mean MAKE not buy. I want something which I could make from scrap materials or buy components in ANY shop for minimal price...
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:53 am

Hence, the convenience of not having to replace an igniter (even after literally thousands of shots) and the "coolness" factor of making it yourself. :wink:

I've made my own ignition circuits from scrap before, but in terms of practicality I very often go with ready-made solutions (piezoelectric igniters, electronic heater/grill igniters, etc.).
RICHARDakaCHUCK
Private
Private

Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:46 am

Mark, do you have any good advices how to wind HV transformer? I need small but powerfull one...
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:51 pm

No, I've never really wound one. The circuit above was planned around a small ATV (CDI) ignition coil.
RICHARDakaCHUCK
Private
Private

Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:34 pm

I mounted everything in air, just using few wires and made smaller HV transformer. I also improoved my circuit by changing few values and adding one extra cap (C4) so now the circuit works from 3v so you can use two AA bateries in series to feed it.
It ain't as small as I wanted, but it can run from a small 3,7V battery, gives hot white sparks and is quite enough for a spud gun. And I think it is quite smal to fit in spud gun's handlegip... I also had ideas to make everything using SMD's but it won't be so cheap then...
As I got sick and am short of free time because of my studies I won't make tutorial how to make such ignitor, but there are nothing too complex about it so here are few links:
HV transformer winding tutorial:
First transformer can be an audio transformer...
If you have both transformers just get few electronic parts and conect everything like shown in the schematic.
If anybody has any more questions e-mail me: 6stygos.ricardas@gmail.com
Potato Demon
Private 4
Private 4
Canada

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:23 pm

I know this is a very old thread but, what about 2 nails in the chamber with the ends just under 1 cm apart. Then a small strand from steel wool in between them. On the outside there would be a toggle switch hooked up to a 9 volt. You would have to replace the steel wool but it would be easy.
The world is the problem, the atomic bomb is the answer!
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:39 am

Potato Demon wrote:I know this is a very old thread but, what about 2 nails in the chamber with the ends just under 1 cm apart. Then a small strand from steel wool in between them. On the outside there would be a toggle switch hooked up to a 9 volt. You would have to replace the steel wool but it would be easy.
It should work. You can do a simple test, with an aerosol and a mixture of butane or propane and air, in stoichiometric relation, at atmospheric pressure. The aerosol that is the combustion chamber must have an exit orifice. The only thing that is uncomfortable to work with because you must install the filament every time you want to shoot. :roll:
I use these, and they work very well.
Attachments
electric-piezo-igniter-for-gas-heater-parts.jpg
Potato Demon
Private 4
Private 4
Canada

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:23 am

Well I guess I could use nichrome wire that way it lasts longer.
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:29 am

Potato Demon wrote:Well I guess I could use nichrome wire that way it lasts longer.
Yes, the ni-cr wire will surely last longer. You have to know if you are going to reach to light the mixture. Question of proving and drawing conclusions :)
The sparks of cigarette lighters also work very well, and they are free! :bounce:
Here is a video of what interests you. It's in "Jack's Bible" :D on your YouTube channel.
[youtube][/youtube]
Potato Demon
Private 4
Private 4
Canada

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:33 pm

That looks pretty cool! (Well hot actually :p ) i noticed a bit of a delay between the wire heating up and the combustion though. I guess it was heating up.