why can't I get a better result when firing?

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
wdotten
Recruit
Recruit

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:42 pm

I just made a standard spud gun for the first time but I can't seem to get the right fuel to air mix, it seems to be very unreliable, I use propane instead of hairspray but it still is shotty?? Anyone know what I can do to get it more consistent?
:(
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:49 pm

A neophyte! Welcome!

You're looking for the section called "Combustion Cannon Discussion," in particular a sticky called How to Build a Propane Meter.

To actually answer your question:
No, using propane will be no more reproducible than other propellants if you're trying to gauge the mix by feel. You have to deal with variations in your timing and how far you're opening the valve, both of which will carry over to propane.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:31 am

[youtube][/youtube]
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
iknowmy3tables
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:42 am

very basic combustion spudguns are often called spray and prays, if I'm correct this is more about reliable triggering rather than power right? here are some steps that you may want to improve your combustion cannon

1)first experiment, spray, vent, shoot try try different spraying techniques, virgin sacrifices, different fuels adjusting the spark gap, etc
2)upgrade your chamber to use a fuel mixing fan with a brushless motor
3)upgrade your ignition, try a camera flash circuit, a cheap stungun
4)finally make an fuel meter, it's usually considered a project for advance builders but when paired with that last two things you'll have completed an advance spudgun
jsefcik
Sergeant 2
Sergeant 2

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:02 pm

personally, a fan will be the best improvment,i still have a spray and pray i put in a fan and best thing i ever did, carb cleaner !!!