What sort

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
telfish
Recruit
Recruit

Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:35 pm

This might seem strange but I am a fisherman who needs to shoot chum out into the water. I wish to build a spud cannon to do this but don't have a clue which sort to use. I need to shoot balls of chum or loose maize, will a spud cannon do this? I need to shoot this about 80 yards in a reasonably tight pattern.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Telfish
spudshot
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:26 pm

i'd use a sabot, maybe a rag or something, so you can pour the chum down the barrel, if its tightly packed it shouldnt have that much of a spray pattern, since you'd probably be on a boat, portablility may be an issue, so you may want to go with a combustion launcher, and so you can shoot every time instead of playing around with fuels, try a propane meter, play around with aerosols first, and if its a pain in the ass to get to ignite, switch to propane
BC Pneumatics
Sergeant
Sergeant

Donating Members

Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:41 pm

I would sugest useing a 2" barrel, and a propane cunbustion like spudshot said. You could even make ice slugs out of the chum, that were only like 1/2 frozen, to keep a tight pattern. You could also make an open ended canister out of so paper cups, that wouls hold it. As long as you are in open ocean, and they sink, it doesnt matter much. (some crustations even use trash to make houses). Just wondering, 1, what are you fishing for, and 2, why do you need to toss the chum 80 yards?
telfish
Recruit
Recruit

Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:48 pm

Thanks Guys,

I am fishing from shore, for Carp. There is a contest on the St Lawence river this summer with a million dollar prize. I need to get a lot of chum mainly maize out into the current. I would normally just take my boat out and dump it over the side, however the competition says "No boats" so I have to come up with an alternative.

From what I have read here it seems a propane or areosol cumbustion cannon would suit. I have been thinking how to send the stream of maize out of the cannon and thought I might make a cylinder of wood that just fits in the cannon barrel, then attach a strong lanyard to this feed it down the barrel to the stop, then fill the barrel with maize and fire the cannon. Hopefully the cylinder will fly out of the cannon taking the chum with it. then I could retrieve the cylinder for the next shot.

Does this make sense or am I thinking wrong.

Thanks for your input

Telfish
BC Pneumatics
Sergeant
Sergeant

Donating Members

Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:33 pm

That wouls work fine, but I would use something ligher than would, like faom rubbedr (or hallow out some of the wood) I'm not sure about how far out you shoot the maize and have it still keep a reasonable pattern, but you can test and fool around with it.
Good luck in the competition! If you win, make sure to put in a good word for spudguns ;)