New Guy Questions

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
JohnGil36
Recruit
Recruit

Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:42 pm

Hello Everyone!

I have a few questions before I begin my first build which will be very soon hopefully. Not really the "first", years ago as a young boy, I built a "potato gun" but as it turned out, the police liked it more then I did, so they took it... Anyway, fast forward 20 years and here we are today.

I am wanting to build something pretty simple and inexpensive. I am not a machinist, and I really don't want to spend more then 50 to 75 dollars. I am looking to build a pneumatic gun that I can use for shoot stuff and to launch chalk powder into the air for a color run our fire department will be hosting soon.

I am considering using an inline sprinkler valve and have seen them used several ways. #1 people use the solenoid and hook up a battery and switch of rigger the valve. #2 - People modify the valve and use an air compressor gun to trigger the valve. Is one better than the other?

Can I use Sched 40 DWV? or will that become a bomb when I pressurize it?

Any suggestion on a specific valve? Keeping in mind my budget?

Thanks!!!
Totally hooked on what I am seeing in this site... I can see this becoming addicting SOON.

John
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:22 am

I am considering using an inline sprinkler valve and have seen them used several ways. #1 people use the solenoid and hook up a battery and switch of rigger the valve. #2 - People modify the valve and use an air compressor gun to trigger the valve. Is one better than the other?
Option 2 gives better performance as the valve opens faster
Can I use Sched 40 DWV? or will that become a bomb when I pressurize it?
It depends how much you enjoy picking razor sharp plastic shards out of your flesh
Any suggestion on a specific valve? Keeping in mind my budget?
The biggest one you can afford!
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life