I've lost interest in spud guns

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
AMDHater123
Private
Private

Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:17 pm

About a year ago, I wasted $200 building a steel pipe QEV based air gun. I played with it maybe every week for a few months. I would load it with whatever and shoot stuff. However, a few months ago I was more interested in computers. I would play with my potato cannon less and less. About 3 months ago I stopped playing with my potato cannon and just put it in the garage somewhere. About two months ago, I built myself a gaming PC as my old Celeron desktop was unsuitable for gaming. Now I play Far Cry every day. I totally forgot about the spud gun until a few days ago I noticed it in the garage. There is only so much fun you can have launching potatoes. It takes 5 minutes to load a potato gun and it is not very much fun to shoot. Just buy a $10 airsoft gun instead. Now what can I do with my potato gun? Should I sell it as a whole or part it out?
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:50 pm

Save it for bar-b-q's parties and such.
AMDHater123
Private
Private

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:10 pm

jrrdw wrote:Save it for bar-b-q's parties and such.
Why would I? I rarely have parties and stuff and when I do most people would not be interested in a spud gun. I have moved on to doing computer stuff and playing Far Cry so I have no use for the thing. Should I sell the parts?
farcticox1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:13 pm

I actually enjoy building them more than shooting them, it's like an artist that paints a perfect picture, then realizes it isn't perfect, what do you do, create another, and another. Typically I spend $0 so I don't feel too bad if it doesn't work out.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:00 am

Different strokes, I think the real world is more stimulating than video games.
It takes 5 minutes to load a potato gun and it is not very much fun to shoot.
Were you using a tire inflator?
Just buy a $10 airsoft gun instead.
A $10 airsoft gun won't shred sheet metal with near supersonic plastic BBs...

[youtube][/youtube]

I guess if you stop and one launcher and don't push the limits, it will tend to get boring.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
AMDHater123
Private
Private

Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:23 am

farcticox1 wrote:I actually enjoy building them more than shooting them, it's like an artist that paints a perfect picture, then realizes it isn't perfect, what do you do, create another, and another. Typically I spend $0 so I don't feel too bad if it doesn't work out.
Yes, but I wasted $250 on steel pipe and fittings to build something that will barely punch through cardboard at 100 PSI.
jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Different strokes, I think the real world is more stimulating than video games.
It takes 5 minutes to load a potato gun and it is not very much fun to shoot.
Just buy a $10 airsoft gun instead.
A $10 airsoft gun won't shred sheet metal with near supersonic plastic BBs...

I guess if you stop and one launcher and don't push the limits, it will tend to get boring.
I don't want to waste any more time or money on this stupid hobby. Now what can I do with all the fittings and stuff?

I used a mini bike pump.
Last edited by jrrdw on Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Triple post.
D_Hall
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5
United States of America

Donating Members

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:50 am

AMDHater123 wrote:It takes 5 minutes to load a potato gun and it is not very much fun to shoot. Just buy a $10 airsoft gun instead. Now what can I do with my potato gun? Should I sell it as a whole or part it out?
If it takes 5 minutes to load your gun and an airsoft gun can even compare?? You're doing it wrong. It should only take seconds to load and any decent spud gun would make an airsoft gun look like a toy (because it is a toy...whereas a decent spud gun is many things...but not a toy).

That said, if your gun is that much of an abortion, just throw it away. It's a piece of shit and only an idiot would pay money for it (and even then, doubtful they'd pay much).
Simulation geek (GGDT / HGDT) and designer of Vera.
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:13 am

Well this hobby just isn't for everybody and that's ok. Spudfiles is not a 'cannon' sales site so you can't sell it here, good luck with your future endeavors.