Modern cellphone cameras and recording ballistic tests

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:46 am

Technology has come some way since the "lazor" era of my Nokia Prism over a decade ago.

I had a play with the Slow Motion and Super Slow-Mo modes on my Galaxy S9:

The projectile was a 0.25g airsoft BB at high subsonic velocity.

The Super Slow-Mo is particularly interesting as you can point the camera at the target and designate an area where recording will start when movement is detected.

This means you don't have to bother about pressing record and pulling the trigger at the same time. It can record up to 0.4 seconds of footage in this mode which is enough for most kinetic impacts.

The Slow Motion mode has a lower frame rate but also records sound, less useful for empirical evaluation but it adds to the entertainment value. The latter is enhanced by the fact that you can easily edit at which point the transitions from real time to slow motion is made from the phone itself.

Another help thing to have that often comes with a tripod is a bluetooth remote that allows you to trigger the recording some distance away, again making the recording process a lot less fiddly.

One of the shots edited to 1/8 of the original slow motion playback and you can clearly see the BB go through the can, bounce off the backstop back into the can and off the left of the screen. If you look closely you can even see the dent that the BB makes when it hits the can the second time:

This is over and above the quality of the still images, especially if you are willing to play with the settings in "Pro" mode.

Here is a detail of an entry hole:

hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:08 pm

Incredible what technology puts in the hands of any mortal with a decent cell phone. I like how you filmed the video :)
squib
Private
Private
United States of America

Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:03 pm

Look out Taofledermaus :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:33 am

squib wrote:
Jeff is already familiar with my work ;)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
hectmarr
Sergeant
Sergeant
Argentina

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:42 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:33 am
squib wrote:
Jeff is already familiar with my work ;)
I did not know that you obtained this recognition, undoubtedly very valuable, at least as I see it. The ammunition you designed looks great!
I also did not know this person's Taofledermaus channel on YouTube, I just subscribed because everything that is there is very interesting. ;)
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:44 am

hectmarr wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:42 am
I did not know that you obtained this recognition, undoubtedly very valuable, at least as I see it. The ammunition you designed looks great!
I also did not know this person's Taofledermaus channel on YouTube, I just subscribed because everything that is there is very interesting. ;)
These days I have my own shotguns for this kind of experiment, all I need now is some open space away from civilization :) hopefully in the near future...