Hacksmith of potato guns?

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
kunkmiester
Private
Private

Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:37 am

Has anyone looked at doing something like that? He gets most of his revenue from ads on his videos, both from Youtube and from his own inserted sponsors. He makes enough to make some pretty big projects, and employ a few people on top of having an impressive shop. I've seen a few such makers make potato guns as part of other projects or as a one off(the gatling one from Master Milo as an example), but no one that I know of is focusing on potato guns and such. Not sure who I'd look at for sponsors either.
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:41 am

I think it's a little too focused but there's definitely a niche that could be filled. For instance, searching for hybrid cannons brings up minecraft videos and MrCrowley's. :p

Just starting out you'll probably have to mix-in "theory" and "build progress" videos since it's a little ambitious to build new, at least somewhat interesting cannons on a weekly basis.

Is this something you're looking at doing?
kunkmiester
Private
Private

Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:29 pm

I've thought about it, even done some plotting. It would have to take off pretty quick though, there are only a few designs I could do without a decent shop, and I'd need the revenue to go hardcore fast.

It would be fun to do eventually but I need more financial stability if I'm going to do it on my own.
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:55 pm

kunkmiester wrote:
there are only a few designs I could do without a decent shop
That's where I think you could set yourself apart. There's tons of channels like hacksmith where the dudes 3d print entire builds and send off for some PCB's for the electronics. I'd personally watch the shit out of a channel with a JSR-type character making select-fire pneumatics out of epoxy and random conduit fittings. :P

You could also have more than one contributor like Tested.
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:49 am

Honestly I think people would be asking for different content pretty fast. Take note of the slingshot channel. It's called the slingshot channel, yet he does way more than make slingshots. He holds true to the basic concept by mostly using rubber for power. I'm not sure potato guns could be as diverse, but perhaps it could work. I also agree that it would be very expensive to create a constant flow of content as you try to build the channel.
kunkmiester
Private
Private

Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:15 pm

There are a LOT of related projects that would tkae up time. Belt fed? Also make a "tactical" pickup with it. Even go the extra mile and find some video game theme to back it up. Spotlight a particular machine or design feature for yet another video. I could get a weekly 10 minute video easy.
mark.f wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:55 pm
kunkmiester wrote:
there are only a few designs I could do without a decent shop
That's where I think you could set yourself apart. There's tons of channels like hacksmith where the dudes 3d print entire builds and send off for some PCB's for the electronics. I'd personally watch the shit out of a channel with a JSR-type character making select-fire pneumatics out of epoxy and random conduit fittings. :P

You could also have more than one contributor like Tested.
I feel there is a lot you can do on smaller machines in a smaller shop that many people don't realize is really possible. I've pondered when I get machines making a series of videos showing a few projects showing ways around the limitations. A pneumatic single shot would be one of those.
rookie builder
Private
Private
United States of America

Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:57 am

NighthawkInLight is the closest example I can think of to your description. His channel focuses on a variety of subjects but he has also made numerous videos dedicated to building air cannons. He is the reason why I got interested in building cannons in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/user/nighthawkinlight