My Problems with Vague or Inaccurate Thread Titles

Voice your input! Discuss anything to do with SpudFiles.com or community it's self. Constructive discussions only. This is a place to express thoughts about making the community better.
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:36 am

I know we've all been guilty of this, but I think it's been getting out of hand lately. Also, I know this is in Mr. Crowley's posting etiquette thread as well, I just think most people don't realize the implications.

Thread titles are there for a reason. When somebody clicks on the "show new posts" link, they have 2, maybe 3 pages of posts to look through. People do not want to look at every single post, despite what you may think.

Therefore, there must be something that will allow the user to pick only those topics which are relevant to him.

Have a title like "Do you think...", or "Problem", or "Question", or "New Idea" does not help this. Now, I've done this before, but it seems to be happening a lot lately, and I think it should stop.

For instance, look at this thread title. Very descriptive. Somebody looking at this on the search page for newly updated threads would be able to see instantly that, yes, or no, he does(n't) want to view the topic.

So, for instance, if you have a new idea for a piston valve configuration, don't post it under "Maybe a New Idea?", but under "New Piston Valve Configuration, Maybe". Try to be as descriptive as possible, no matter what. I know a lot of people find it witty or clever to post half of a thread title in the title box, and continue it in the message, but this only contributes to the problem worse, so please! If you have not already, head on over to Mr. Crowley's Posting Etiquette topic, and read up on this particular section (or better yet, the entire list if you're new to it).

That is all. Thanks for listening.
Biopyro
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:57 am

This would be extremely helpful. I pretty much browse only by the show new threads, and tend to just glaze over anything which isn't specifically eye-catching. It is only hurting the poster because something they might need help with won't get the replies so quickly.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -Benjamin Franklin
Davidvaini
Sergeant 4
Sergeant 4

Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:15 am

It is quite annoying that I didnt know about half of the sweet canons on this site because they didnt have a thumbnail and/or the title was vague.

There are also a bunch of discussion threads that actually have good ideas... too bad I miss them.

People say they ONLY hurt the poster, but it actually hurts everyone. I come on here to gain more knowledge in the field of spudding and airsoft. If i miss a really cool idea it hurts me from learning something new and cool.

I also agree that not everyone reads every single post. Even a lot of veterans don't read most of the posts. To give you an example, JSR didnt see a single one of my threads up untill a few days ago when I pointed out to him that he hasnt commented.
MaxuS the 2nd
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:42 am

Davidvaini wrote:It is quite annoying that I didnt know about half of the sweet canons on this site because they didnt have a thumbnail and/or the title was vague.
Ditto.
Badman
Hotwired
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:27 am

I did field a proper listing method for cannons before but it didn't get many takers.

Basically required cannon posters to put up some standard facts about the cannon where they could be easily seen.
MrCrowley

Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:16 pm

When ever I see a topic with a vague topic, I usually edit in something more descriptive, but I can't cover every topic so a few do slip through unfortunately.

The best way to stop these few slipping through the cracks is to PM me or another Mod with the topics URL and current topic title. Because if one post is deleted between the time you give me the URL and I open it, the URL no longer works.
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:56 pm

MaxuS the 2nd wrote:
Davidvaini wrote:It is quite annoying that I didnt know about half of the sweet canons on this site because they didnt have a thumbnail and/or the title was vague.
Ditto.
I can tell you that in SpudFiles 8.0 (phpBB 3.0), most showcase threads will have thumbnails (at least all who use the SpudFiles uploader, which is much much sweeter in 8.0 than it is now).
Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
benstern
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Donating Members

Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:30 pm

I'm benstern and I approve of this thread.

Seriously, people.
starman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Donating Members

Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:49 pm

PCGUY wrote:I can tell you that in SpudFiles 8.0 (phpBB 3.0), most showcase threads will have thumbnails (at least all who use the SpudFiles uploader, which is much much sweeter in 8.0 than it is now).
What's the ETA for getting version 8.0 up and running? We've been teased with the prospect of upgrade for some time now.
Davidvaini
Sergeant 4
Sergeant 4

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:15 pm

PCGUY wrote: I can tell you that in SpudFiles 8.0 (phpBB 3.0), most showcase threads will have thumbnails (at least all who use the SpudFiles uploader, which is much much sweeter in 8.0 than it is now).
Can we make it so a person must upload a thumbnail.

Can we also make it so it auto resizes it down to relative thumbnail size. It is quite annoying to have to go to an external program or site to resize.. then save/download then re-upload onto the spudfiles uploader than copy that link go back into your thread and paste it.

It would be nice if there was an uploader right on making the new thread.. you simply click browse, choose your file and then click submit.. it would automatically resize to thumbnail and you would be set.

just an idea that would make it more convenient.

On a side note, the other day I went browsing through all 40 pages of pneumatic cannon showcase's and I found a bunch of sweet cannons without thumbnails. Can we have a mod go into those threads and make a thumbnail for them using their original pictures? Reason I suggest a mod do it is because a lot of those members arnt around to do so.
MrCrowley

Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:20 pm

Davidvaini wrote: Can we have a mod go into those threads and make a thumbnail for them using their original pictures? Reason I suggest a mod do it is because a lot of those members arnt around to do so.
Not bloody likely! :D

I really don't think it's worth it, it will take hours to do them all and for each topic I'd have to save the image to my computer first, then upload it. I don't mind spending a few hours on the site a day, but not for thumbnail pictures most people will never see.
Davidvaini
Sergeant 4
Sergeant 4

Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:44 pm

oh ok, I think it would be worth it simply because I actually learned a lot from some really sweet old cannons that didnt have thumbnails. I would of not seen those if i wasnt looking at every cannon for a reason. I normally click the threads that stand out to me...

There are 3 main ways threads stand out in my eyes.

The title description
How many replies
Thumbnail

If the title description sucks or is inaccurate then I ignore it.
If there is a bunch of replies, chances are its actually something quite ingenious.
If you don't have a thumbnail, chances are its nothing really worth looking at because anybody truly proud of their design will take the extra 3 minutes to upload a thumbnail. Sometimes this isnt the case, but even if its a sweet cannon that the person is proud of, it doesnt mean anything if the title is generic.

A title could be Grongaz Cannon and be a sweet 50foot long cannon with the sweetest paintjob ever.. but without a thumbnail its just "Grongaz cannon" which is probably just another cannon.

I have missed a few really cool designs that a lot of people are always looking for simply because their was no thumbnail/good description.

If I see a thumbnail of a 50 foot cannon, you bet im gonna click that link.. but If i see a cannon with the title Grongaz cannon and no thunbnail.. there is a very slim chance I will click that link.

It would really help all the members out if they were able to have a better way of finding out what the cannon is really about.

I think im going to make a post of some cannons that most people have not seen that are really worth looking at. (low view count, but really impressive)
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:56 pm

Misleading discriptions flat out make me mad, it's just wrong. That don't happen very often. Half a discription aint to bad, but accurite is all ways best. I've never edited a discription but don't mind letting a member know it needs done, or I'll get rid of it all together heheheeee....
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:59 pm

I'll try to get the thumbnail system together the best I can.
Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:26 pm

I too hate useless thread titles. Every now and then I'll rant at someone for it.

And actually, I wish to claim I've never been guilty of it. There are a couple of cases where I could have been a little more descriptive, but I've never posted a "Hey, what about this?!" style thread.

There was one case where I was deliberately inaccurate, but being accurate would have spoiled the joke I was making.

Thus, I am allowed to rant without being a hypocrite! :D
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?