SpudFiles Direction

Voice your input! Discuss anything to do with SpudFiles.com or community it's self. Constructive discussions only. This is a place to express thoughts about making the community better.
User avatar
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Seychelles
Posts: 2394
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:12 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:04 pm

chinnerz wrote:I agree, What we don't want is threads about making bombs.
We wouldn't have them, because I'd expect the moderator(s) of such a section to be sufficiently knowledgeable in the subject matter to differentiate between a k3wl b0mb topic and a reasonable discussion of high energy propellants.

A private section with member elections would eliminate most issues before they even had the opportunity to develop.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General
Posts: 25705
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Donating Members

Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:48 am

I disagree that any overt discussion of solid explosives should be allowed.

Many spudguns on this forum are more powerful it terms of ft/lbs than many firearms, so it's not really a question of power, however in the modern terrorism obsessed world I don't think being associated with potential bomb-making material is going to be beneficial for this forum. People are being convicted for "possessing records likely to be useful in terrorism" - it borders on the ridiculous, but it's the way things are.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against hobbyists playing with HE, nor do I suspect that any member of this forum has any ambition to harm property or life for whatever reason. The Western media has however proven to be quite hysterical on the matter, and law makers and enforcers are usually forced into knee-jerk reactions to appease the baying crowds, however unreasonable they might be.

Spudfiles already rides a fine line, I don't think we should push it - or at least, not be seen to be pushing it. These idiotstried to turn a Mercedes into a combustion chamber - thankfully they were unsuccessful, but who is going to stop a journalist claiming that given good advice from this forum, they would have actually made it?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, I just don't want to see spudfiles being shut down for some banal association.
Last edited by jackssmirkingrevenge on Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
User avatar
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:47 am
Location: U.S.A.- See Map

Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:00 am

I agree with what JSR is saying completely. I attempted to give voice to that issue in my last post, but I think he did so far better than I.
User avatar
mobile chernobyl
Corporal 3
Corporal 3
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:53 am

Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:01 am

As a member of Sciencemadness.org and the former Roguesci.org I can say that strict moderation can result in useful topics.

However the so called "k3wls" will always weak havoc on such a forum. So PCGuy - it is completely in your jurisdiction as to whether or not you allow the advanced discussion either in the chemical procedures and/or applied science of such. I wouldn't expect you to move into either given this sites current and past scope.

Spudfiles is not a site which theorizes around accelerating an object using a solid propellant, and that is a good barrier to set. There are plenty of sites out there, albeit a bit more professional in discussion, that discuss using solid propellants. One thing that I respect is that accelerating a projectile using anything other than a solid propellant take a hell of a lot of effort. That is seen throughout countless posts and projects here.

However there are very few sites if any which are set to discuss the acceleration of projectiles using solid propellants from an amateur stance. There are sites which consist of 50-75% "k3wls" discussing the accelerating of projectiles using "unorthodox" methods, but the resource of sites with devoted members discussing such is relatively limited, if any anymore. This is probably for good reason - this stuff is not safe under any but the strictest safety procedures, and as someone who actually has taken the time to build an explosion proof fume hood in their basement, I get a bit concerned when reading a majority of the posts I read in subliminal or double speak language I hear on here.

That aside - Spudfiles has a good future and that's obvious :roll: . If there will be a side of the site that discusses advanced methods of acceleration using solid propellants I would strongly recommend a few things:
-In order to access said material, one would have to first request a password from a current member or moderator of said sub-forum.
-Anyone who is not a current member of said forum cannot access the material through a simple Google search or spudfiles.com search.
-Discussion of said acceleration is to remain strictly theoretical or methodical - limited to no applied procedures shall be discussed.

This is what differentiates sciencemadness.org from roguesci.org - one is still around while the other is questionably erased with a key member missing and in jail - and one discusses the chemistry of the field theoretically and methodically while the other permitted applicable discussion.

All that aside - the discussion of such can be accomplished rapidly in a functioning chat room. I would suggest you get that up and running ASAP and all that was said above can be neglected.
User avatar
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 1574
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:20 pm
Location: SoCal
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:45 am

The only real issue I see, which already exists to some extend with spud guns, is someone getting instruction or ideas from here involving an HE or solid propellant project, then getting hurt or killed trying it out. The site might end up on the NEWS and then come under serious pressure.
We have all seen videos of spud guns exploding due to improper construction or whatever. These accidents are sure to happen with explosives as well, but the user might not get off so lucky as they often do with low energy launchers like spud guns.
If I could offer a suggestion, I would say open the site up to a variety of hobby related topics, but eliminate or severely limit the solid propellant/explosive stuff for the safety and well being of the community as a whole. Not to mention the possibility of people here being sued in a major, indefensible way.
User avatar
starman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:45 am
Location: Simpsonville, SC

Donating Members

Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:55 am

I believe keeping a primary focus on Spudgunning is the best approach for the site...basically the world's premiere authority on the subject. I also work in audio/recording and information technology but I wouldn't expect a spudgun site to seriously deal in those areas...even on a hobbyist basis.

I think the NSGF works fine like it is...but just my 2 cents worth.
User avatar
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain
Posts: 5402
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:43 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:15 am

private HE section would definitely be beneficial here. Solid propellant discussions certainly have their place, but that place often should be out of public view.
Guess what, this one is not :)
One possible risk of adding an explosive section is the attention it could bring to the site. I know some of the members here are worried about the police and with an explosives section it seems logical that this site may receive more attention from them.
I agree
I believe keeping a primary focus on Spudgunning is the best approach for the site... basically the world's première authority on the subject.
I think the NSGF works fine like it is
I rarely agree with starman.... But this time he's right (lol sorry starman).
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
User avatar
starman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:45 am
Location: Simpsonville, SC

Donating Members

Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:31 am

POLAND_SPUD wrote:I rarely agree with starman.... But this time he's right (lol sorry starman).
I'll bet we agree on more things than you think.... :wink:
User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General
Posts: 25705
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Donating Members

Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:37 am

starman wrote:I'll bet we agree on more things than you think.... :wink:
For example:
POLAND_SPUD wrote:guns are just like women... they operate best when loaded from behind :wink:
:D
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
User avatar
starman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:45 am
Location: Simpsonville, SC

Donating Members

Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:58 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
starman wrote:I'll bet we agree on more things than you think.... :wink:
For example:
POLAND_SPUD wrote:guns are just like women... they operate best when loaded from behind :wink:
:D
Yes we definitely agree on that!
User avatar
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 1505
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:34 pm
Location: 'Straya, C*nt

Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:27 am

So it seems that some think we should remain discussing technology that is quite limited. No one is "really" going to exceed 3000PSI in a launcher, nor is anyone going to get much past a ~350X mix in a hybrid.

Perhaps a section in which we theorise on all types of launchers, no practical application at all (not even in dreams or SWIM).

Otherwise, there's only one thing I'd like to see in the new Spudfiles; When you get an email regarding PMs or a reply to a thread, I'd like tosee the reply in the email, it's a little disappointing when you get the email and go to the thread and someone said lol.

It's quite a letdown.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
User avatar
jrrdw
Moderator
Moderator
United States of America
Posts: 6523
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 pm
Location: Maryland
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Contact:

Donating Members

Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:49 am

Anybody who knows Roguesci.org knows it's no longer around. To open a explosive section no matter how well guarded by mods and members would deal Spudfiles the same fate as Roguesci.org was dealt. For those who know how well guarded Roguesci.org was, well you know what happen.

No one here in the USA wants to take a chance on getting charged with the Patriot Act. That would mean taken from your family and home hours of interrogation, time in federal prison and worse of all....you would be missing Spudfiles. :wink:
Look if you must.
User avatar
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain
Posts: 5402
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:43 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:11 am

So it seems that some think we should remain discussing technology that is quite limited. No one is "really" going to exceed 3000PSI in a launcher, nor is anyone going to get much past a ~350X mix in a hybrid
In case you haven't noticed... solid propellants are quite limited too
lol even the speed of light is limited

you can read about limits here>>
1. http://www.statejournal.com/story.cfm?f ... &catid=165
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combustion_light_gas_gun



ohhh and if you want more power in a smaller package then buy yourself a real firearm... anything you can build at home will be pretty lame in comparison (= limited :D )

if you've got too much free time and too much money there are lots of gunsmithing forums on the internet
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General
Posts: 25705
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Donating Members

Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:22 am

POLAND_SPUD wrote:In case you haven't noticed... solid propellants are quite limited too
That's a fair point, certainly not where the military thinks the future lies.

There is enough development in the field of spudguns to be done without the need to look at solid propellants ;)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
User avatar
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 1505
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:34 pm
Location: 'Straya, C*nt

Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:51 am

Currently you can only really increase pressure or size in spudguns, it can't go that much further.

Roguesci.org was a forum open to the public, if you searched the name you'd find references to many illegal things, I bet almost everyone here who doesn't frequent APC Forum wouldn't even know they have a HE section.

I know chemical technology is limited, but we can't discuss ETCGs here, ETGs are impractical after a certain point.

I don't think we should have a HE section, just allow theorectical discussion of such things in relation to experimental projection of projectiles.

I'd better calm down, I don't really want to meet the banhammer.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
Post Reply