Forum layout and "wasted" screen space

Voice your input! Discuss anything to do with SpudFiles.com or community it's self. Constructive discussions only. This is a place to express thoughts about making the community better.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:53 am

sfwastedspace.jpg
Almost 50% of the screen space to each side is "wasted", seems a little archaic. Is there a way to have the actual data fill the screen? Another drawback is that some externally hosted images are not resized correctly and the right edge gets cut off...
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:29 am

In short a happy medium is the goal, I think PCGUY has reached it. As for the issues you mentioned has other forums done the same thing on the same device at the same connection point?
iknowmy3tables
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:02 pm

I think it's more that the text in posts would be harder to read in a wide format, if I wrote several paragraphs with use of the full screen and same text size as you pan you view back over to start the next line you loose track of which line you were on.
I just wish the boxes on the left were more consistent, I'd love to see latest threads while in a thread, instead I keep a separate tab
farcticox1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:21 am

That's what I was thinking, I wish 'recent topics ' was way longer, or even an open box with my recent posts in it, instead I have to go searching in my profile under 'view your posts'
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:08 am

jrrdw wrote:In short a happy medium is the goal, I think PCGUY has reached it. As for the issues you mentioned has other forums done the same thing on the same device at the same connection point?
Let's take this recent post as an example, the last image is cropped on all the platforms I've checked it on. Don't you think that we could increase the default width by 25% without interfering with user experience. I'm on a 20 inch wide monitor right now and the forum is 10 inches wide, it does seem a little silly from where I'm standing.
I think it's more that the text in posts would be harder to read in a wide format, if I wrote several paragraphs with use of the full screen and same text size as you pan you view back over to start the next line you loose track of which line you were on.
I'm on other forums where it takes up the full width of the screen and I can't say it's been a problem.
I just wish the boxes on the left were more consistent, I'd love to see latest threads while in a thread, instead I keep a separate tab
Seconded.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:47 pm

It depends. A line of text as wide as most modern monitors is really hard to read, which is why most websites still at least wrap text to a moderate length. Other things can fill up the space though, but there's a lot of work that goes into this kind of stuff. :)
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:04 pm

A lot of this was designed when widescreen monitors were relatively new ;-)

No worries, I hear you all and fully understand... especially as I now type from a 32" Ultrawide. SF is TINY on this screen!
Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:01 am

Hallelujah the Lord has heeded our prayers!

:D

While we're on the subject of bringing the forum into the 21st century, let's talk animated clips.

This is a gif:

This is a gifv:

Is there a way we can embed the second one, seeing as it's 2018 and they load so much faster?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:51 am

Just wanted to reiterate my plea for a wider layout, or at least images being automatically resized so they're not cropped off on the right side...
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:25 am

What happened, why is the user information on the right now?