Old link format redirect?

Voice your input! Discuss anything to do with SpudFiles.com or community it's self. Constructive discussions only. This is a place to express thoughts about making the community better.
Hybird
Recruit
Recruit
Australia

Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:16 am

Hey everyone, I love this site and have lurked for probably a decade now. I've used the resources here to design some lovely hybrid launchers and think the info here is still really valuable to hobbyists and engineers.

One thing I've noticed recently is that most links to old topics are unusable – take any link on this page, for example: spud_wiki/index.php?title=Forum_Stickies

I assume this happened during the 2020 site update, because the URL format is different now. It used to be "spudfiles.com/forums/piston-valves-explained-visually-t8157.html" whereas now it's "spudfiles.com/viewtopic.php?t=8157".

Right now I just manually paste the topic number into the new format, but it's kind of a barrier to accessing a lot of the old treasures here. Does anyone know if it would be possible for the site owners to redirect old URL formats to the correct threads?
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:38 am

"Does anyone know if it would be possible for the site owners to redirect old URL formats to the correct threads?" It has to be done manually one by one and yes website migration breaks links.

I do what I can when I can as a moderator but the major workings of Spudfiles is the owners (PCGUY) thing.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:08 am

It's been brought up before but apparently not a simple task.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:17 am

Really old broken links are a different kind of beast to tackle. But the wiki login needs to work, I see what is broken - apologies. Let me dig into the wiki a bit deeper.
Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
Goodtimes42
Private
Private
United States of America

Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:47 pm

Hi, I wasn't sure how use this site to post a question to the larger forum, I saw you were the most recent to post, maybe you or someone reading could help me, I'm making a maap gas powered cannon that will shoot 2.6" 12 oz. projectiles (soda cans) . I'm trying to figure out the optimal, most efficient barrel length. Do you know how I could figure that out? Also, I'm wondering what the optimal barrel diameter to chamber diameter ratio is. I could only find volume ratios in my searches.
Any help is very appreciated, thanks.
Goodtimes42
Private
Private
United States of America

Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:14 pm

Thank you that's really helpful. Have a great day!