"In the world of spuds today"

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
SpudUke5
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:10 am

Its kind of interesting that tool you made but what also is interesting is how your avatar resembles you somewhat, according to the pic you posted. :D
4SPC, My 4" piston 3" porting cannon
Memo:
Fix up copper cannon
Fix up 4SPC
Start Stirrup pump
Start Toolies piston bazooka
goathunter
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:37 pm

DYI wrote:I built a great stress relief tool a few weeks ago, out of random offcuts in my shop. Don't have much stress right now (actually quite the opposite), but it's nice to have around and, as you can imagine, packs a bit more punch than the old nunchaku.

The heavy bit on the end is 8 pounds of 2.5" hardened steel round bar.
The question is are you big enough to stop it once you get to swinging? :D That makeshift hammer looks as big as you!
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan

"KA BLAAM! Elimination! Lack of education."-Big Mama, Fox and the Hound, Disney
DYI
First Sergeant 5
First Sergeant 5
Antigua & Barbuda

Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:22 pm

The question is are you big enough to stop it once you get to swinging? That makeshift hammer looks as big as you!
No problem there. There's not much of me, but I'm built pretty solid.

And congrats to Liki for seeing that. As you can probably guess, I don't usually look like that, but what's the point in holding a weaponized homemade hammer if you don't look the part? :D
Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
MaxuS the 2nd
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:42 pm

Almost finished my Flyback Transformer circuit. My 110mm and 75mm barrels also arrived in the post. I can't buy any fittings yet though...because I'm skint.lol
mega_swordman
Corporal
Corporal

Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:54 pm

I started to glue together my Bergles bazooka today. Also, I can't find my camera so I won't be able to showcase my cannons for a bit.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." George S. Patton
Novacastrian
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:54 pm

Well i started on a "Hammer Piston" today, it will be very silmilar to this one - it is an idea i got from JSR.
Any ideas of performance increases?
America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.
DYI
First Sergeant 5
First Sergeant 5
Antigua & Barbuda

Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:41 pm

Today I've worked on the new 2" porting valve for the SCTBDC, as well as a prototype for my new canister round, which is showing a lot of promise. The valve doesn't really seal, but the leak rate should be easily overcome by the flow through the fill hose. I can't actually test either of the canister rounds right now, as they're 2" and 4" bore, and nothing that I have operational at the moment can fire them fast enough to do any real damage (and I don't even have a 4" barrel yet; $96 just for the pipe :( )

There won't be any progress made on the [redacted] project until next weekend, because of an upcoming ski trip.
Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
MrCrowley

Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:45 pm

Today my parts from sgort87 arrived and now they sit in my garage until July when I actually get to build the thing at school.

In other news, i'm messing about with a small co-axial but can't find a .177" barrel and my Hybrid sits in the garage until I can find a few fittings, a barrel, ignition etc.
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:54 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:55 pm

Novacastrian wrote:Well i started on a "Hammer Piston" today
You mean this one?

If so, sweet, I'd love to see it in action :D

edit: Improved the design diagram:

and there's the firing sequence here if you scroll down ;)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Novacastrian
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:37 am

Yes i do , JSR :lol:
Jokes aside i really liked the concept of a hammer piston, or knock open valve. What do you want to name it?
It will be made as a mod for the Double Shot. I have already made the front half (barrel sealer) but am yet to make the "hammer", the ass end.
I plan to make this from Brass to provide a thump to the piston, i am however willing to suggestions in relation to the weight of said "ass end".

There has to be a "happy medium" as such, another note the hammer diameter will be roughly the same as the bore, just enough clearance for smooth flow, i might put an outer ptfe sleeve on to just to make sure...

Edit: My design is simplified somewhat, i lose the hammer guide,the chamber acts as such. FAK YOU ARE FAST, YOUR RE-DESIGN IS MY DESIGN-nearly. :D
America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:42 am

I liked "Hammer Piston" :)

I think brass would be too heavy, the piston wouldn't have to weight more than usual because you still want substantial acceleration - the point is that the "hammer" would open the valve even without prior acceleration due to the area difference, all we're adding is the extra "oomph" to open the valve faster.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Novacastrian
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:56 am

Mmm, i get what you mean, the faster the hammer is moving the better ie more velocity- as such i will try to make it weigh the same as the sealer, for every action there is...
Thanks for the help, it will be hard to tell the difference without a chrony but i will try and determine it from damage.
God i need a chrony.
Ok i may make the hammer like 75% of the weight. :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:42 am

Novacastrian wrote:God i need a chrony
yours for not a lot of $ ;)
Novacastrian
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:10 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
Novacastrian wrote:God i need a chrony
yours for not a lot of $ ;)
Do you think customs would raise a brow? I am unlicensed in all but spinning s#!t. [size=0]Get the pun there?[/size]