SpudFiles Direction

Voice your input! Discuss anything to do with SpudFiles.com or community it's self. Constructive discussions only. This is a place to express thoughts about making the community better.
DYI
First Sergeant 5
First Sergeant 5
Antigua & Barbuda

Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:13 am

ETGs are impractical after a certain point.
If you're trying to build weapons they are, yes. But we're not trying to build weapons here, are we?
Currently you can only really increase pressure or size in spudguns, it can't go that much further.
Which is more than can be done with "conventional" solid propellant guns, which have already essentially reached their limits, and have been studied to death over the last hundred years. In fact, I'd argue that for the kind of launchers we typically build, which are large and obnoxiously loud, CLGGs can reach higher performance than solid propellant guns, and with less illegal compounds laying around one's property.

What many of you don't seem to realize is that what is already permitted for discussion here is the future. The ideas we can currently discuss here - railguns, ETGs, *certain esoteric hydrogen producing reactions*, induction launchers, CLGGs - these hold greater potential than modern solid propellants for serious projectile launching. I'm not implying that we'll have EM handguns as ubiquitous weapons any time soon, but the big stuff is leaning progressively further away from conventional means and the fast stuff hasn't had much use for them since the forties.

Should we be able to discuss solid propellants here, in some limited and hidden fashion as SB15 suggested? Yes, and we already do. It's called the private messaging system. If PCGUY wanted to create a proper section for it, that'd be great, but the six or seven of us aren't exactly barred from communication with each other as it is.

Directions for the site? We need a change in attitude. We have people claiming that gas gun tech "can't go much further", when, to my knowledge, no one has even used helium as a buffer gas in a hybrid mix, or hydrogen or methane as a fuel. Can't go much further? Not unless that means we've finally managed to reach 5% of the performance we stand to achieve. We've barely even started. Laziness and ignorance is not equivalent to the exhaustion of our subject matter. Three years ago, Larda built a launcher with an energy density on the same order of magnitude as that of a firearm, using only air and propane as a propellant. How can anyone dismiss this as a toy technology, when even the most primitive propellants we use can achieve such performance? Solid explosives are wonderfully useful tools, but we need to develop some appreciation for the impressive technologies we already have, and are too lazy to put to use.
Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:40 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
clemsonguy1125
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:53 pm

Whats wrong with low energy launchers? Very few people can actually build high end hybrids. This site is and always as been about helping people build and enjoy their cannons.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:54 pm

SpudBlaster15 wrote:What you've all neglected to realize is that this would be a private, hidden section with less than a dozen members at any given point. The only individuals who would even be aware of its existence would be those who have been granted administrator permission to access the content.
The first rule of HE club would therefore be not to talk about it ;) in my view if it's going to be private and invisible anyway, it should be discussed with PCGUY in private, and only those with an interest in using it should know of its existence.

There is also plenty of development in the fields of projectiles, valves, reloading mechanisms, suppressors, material application etc. - not only development, but also the investigation of phenomena which are observed but not necessarily well explained - which has yet to be done. If this forum is stagnated, it's more due to lack of imagination than anything else.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
clemsonguy1125
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:00 pm

I can't see it staying hidden for long. Eventually someones going to slip and say something. And what about newer people you are not on this thread who have a great new cannon or idea. Basically it would be restricted to a few members. If its going to be restricted that much, it doesnt belong on this site IMO.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:08 pm

I feel the need to reiterate that I have nothing against people playing with HE as long as they are not harming anyone. Heck, I manage a chemical lab, nothing would please me more than being able to put some time in the weekends to make my own concoctions. However, I see a line in the sand between spudguns - however powerful - and the manufacture of explosives.

It's certainly not an association I would enjoy being publicly made with spudfiles. If it's possible for such a forum to be kept under wraps however, I would have no objections.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:14 pm

General Mechanical/Physics Forum

General Electronics/Tech Forum

General Finished Projects Showcase

There, everyone happy? I suppose the <strike>HE</strike> Chemistry forum could be a hidden sub forum in the physics stuff. The NSGRD would remain the misc off-topic section if needed.

This covers as broad of a range of topics as I can think of... everything from gaming rigs to hovercraft to tesla coils to pulsejets. Other stuff like songs, news, artwork and food could either go to theopia or the NSGRD.

edit: Oh and can we PLEASE remove the quicksearch bar! It's useless!
Heck, I manage a chemical lab, nothing would please me more than being able to put some time in the weekends to make my own concoctions.

Just as long as you don't post here under the influence of said concoctions. :D
Last edited by Fnord on Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:22 pm

Fnord wrote:Other stuff like songs, news, artwork and food could either go to theopia or the NSGRD.
Why would there be the need for a forum, instead of just a link?
Just as long as you don't post here under the influence of said concoctions. :D
I had actually done a semi-serious feasibility study with a former colleague a few years ago, the initial financial outlay was too great and I haven't been diagnosed yet ;)
Fnord wrote:Oh and can we PLEASE remove the quicksearch bar! It's useless!
Hear hear! Not only is it useless, but it leads to "I tried to search but got 517,422 results" complaints from newbies.
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:49 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ramses
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
United States of America

Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:05 pm

I would support a hidden HE forum. Although I don't play myself, I would certainly like to follow discussion from a theoretical standpoint.

I also agree that the quick search bar should be removed. A split new topics page would be nice, as would a functioning way to view all posts in a date/time range. Oftentimes, logging in causes my new posts list to reset to zero.
POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:07 pm

@SpudBlaster15
Ever heard of TOR ? google it.

There is no reason for you (or any one else) to link HE with spudfiles or PCGuy. What's the point of setting up a hidden section here ??

Set up your own hidden service and sent links via PM to the enlightened/chosen ones.
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
clemsonguy1125
Sergeant 5
Sergeant 5

Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:17 pm

I dont mind answering questions that have been asked before. The forum even with these low energy launchers has progressed. I have nothing wrong with old threads being recycled because this is how new ideas are incorporated into old ideas. I think the electronic forums would be a good idea though. Why does this section concern me, because I don't like some of the effects it could have on the forum.
Brian the brain
Netherlands

Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:26 pm

Rc/electronics/robotics and automotive could be a nice addition.
Not much trouble with those.

Chemical however..
Look how far the humble spudgun has come..

I'd really hate for some " freedomfighter" to pick up some of the latest developments there.

It would be a very private club.
Long time members only.
It's not about the word getting out, it's about who gets the info.
Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:33 pm

This thread has went from a somewhat suggestive idea's for Spudfiles Direction to a why or why not Spudfiles should have a HE or similar section that will probably never be allowed here do to it's nature.

If you have a different idea for new section/s or direction as topic title suggest then by all means post it.

What has all ready been posted has been posted, move on please.
al-xg
Corporal 2
Corporal 2
Great Britain

Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:56 pm

Just create or use a separate forum for HE, if the wrong association was made it would spoil things for a majority of people. I agree with POLAND_SPUD there is no reason to link the two really.