Stop abusing the chat we have or loose it

Voice your input! Discuss anything to do with SpudFiles.com or community it's self. Constructive discussions only. This is a place to express thoughts about making the community better.

<t>Stop Abusing The Chat?</t>

Loose the chat!
26%
I'll be good!
74%

Total votes: 23
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:08 am

Yes the chat is plain right now.

We can stop using other peoples names and dicking around in the chat, or I can just remove it.

Vote.

Plz K Thx :twisted:
Last edited by PCGUY on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:03 am

Just a quick note, when chat becomes abusive, I bail out. If everyone did that, the abuser won't have much fun.
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:03 am

I voted to lose it, but only until the moderator permissions are restored and you have to use your Spudfiles login or you can't get in. If not it's being more of a pain in the ass then it's worth...
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:08 pm

Personally I don't see what the problem is. I've been present during quite a bit of trolling, and if there's no serious conversation going along I find rather amusing.
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:27 pm

saefroch wrote:Personally I don't see what the problem is. I've been present during quite a bit of trolling, and if there's no serious conversation going along I find rather amusing.
Because your not on the receiving end of the banter. It's all good and well when your dishing it out but when your new and get it for asking a simple question then it gets to be on the bad end of it.
Gidney14
Private 2
Private 2

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:28 pm

jrrdw wrote:
saefroch wrote:Personally I don't see what the problem is. I've been present during quite a bit of trolling, and if there's no serious conversation going along I find rather amusing.
Because your not on the receiving end of the banter. It's all good and well when your dishing it out but when your new and get it for asking a simple question then it gets to be on the bad end of it.
This.

I usually get all my questions answered, but the trolling gets annoying.
warhead052
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:31 pm

Gidney14 wrote:
jrrdw wrote:
This.

I usually get all my questions answered, but the trolling gets annoying.
Its more trying to find the answer in between all the trolling. That gets annoying.
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:46 pm

The abuse never bothered me when I check out. When there is no abuse, there are some great topics.

It's like riding a bus. Sometimes you sit by someone nice and get a good conversation. Other times you get off and wait for the next one.

Why anyone sits in the abuse and tries to be the chat room cop is beyond me.

I enjoy it when it works and go do something useful when it has a denial of use flamewar.

I would like user ID's forced in the future. I thought a mod joined until he did something totally wrong. It wasn't safe for work so I bailed. I'll try again later.
Gidney14
Private 2
Private 2

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:57 pm

Technician1002 wrote:The abuse never bothered me when I check out. When there is no abuse, there are some great topics.

It's like riding a bus. Sometimes you sit by someone nice and get a good conversation. Other times you get off and wait for the next one.

Why anyone sits in the abuse and tries to be the chat room cop is beyond me.

I enjoy it when it works and go do something useful when it has a denial of use flamewar.

I would like user ID's forced in the future. I thought a mod joined until he did something totally wrong. It wasn't safe for work so I bailed. I'll try again later.
Last night? That was bad. Truth be told, I trolled him back, which I know doesnt help, but anyway.
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:26 pm

jrrdw wrote:
Au contraire, I have been on the recieving end of the banter. Many times. ID tags would be nice though.
MrCrowley

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:30 pm

It allows members to troll anonymously and get away with things they previously wouldn't have had they been forced to use their Spudfiles username.

People can pose as other members and cause problems by trolling under that pseudonym. Sooner or later someone will probably PM me and say "why were you suck a dick to me on chat" only to find out someone was chatting under my username.

From a moderators point of view, it's a headache waiting to happen.
Gidney14
Private 2
Private 2

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:02 pm

MrCrowley wrote:
It allows members to troll anonymously and get away with things they previously wouldn't have had they been forced to use their Spudfiles username.

People can pose as other members and cause problems by trolling under that pseudonym. Sooner or later someone will probably PM me and say "why were you suck a dick to me on chat" only to find out someone was chatting under my username.

From a moderators point of view, it's a headache waiting to happen.
Actually, someone was using your name last night too. I second/third/forth the whole forced ID thing.
warhead052
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:03 pm

MrCrowley wrote: From a moderators point of view, it's a headache waiting to happen.
How is it not already? I assume it is.
ramses
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
United States of America

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:36 pm

MrCrowley wrote: It allows members to troll anonymously and get away with things

:D I couldn't resist.
POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:16 pm

Well, as a suggestion for those who troll, use the command /join trollchat or whatever you please, if someone ventures in there, they know what to expect.

To be honest, I haven't been the recipient of trolling, but seriously, people need to understand that almost every question can be answered by searching. And not searching is the cause of most trolling.

If you show that you've searched, and still don't comprehend something, then ask by all means. But most aspects of spudguns aren't that complex, basic physics and chemistry are all that's needed.

In some forums, not searching is a permabannable offence. And those forums aren't "that" uptight.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole