"Offtopic-posts-topic" NSFW

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:11 pm

Wouldn't it suck to see a 123 page thread get locked due to 2 or 3 members failure to post respectable post?
danielrowell
Private 4
Private 4

Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:42 pm

What model was your Sig Sauer, Jsefcik?

Though you may not have any pictures personally, there are lots of pictures on the internet of chamber "explosions." One of them is bound to look like what happened to your gun.
paaiyan
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:58 pm

I just realized that JR's signature applies to this thread in its current state...
"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
jsefcik
Sergeant 2
Sergeant 2

Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:12 am

I had the sig sauer sp2340

Many guns have had chamber exploions but my chamber didn't explode the top part of the gun was fine mainly bottom part that was cracked and broken
mobile chernobyl
Corporal 3
Corporal 3
United States of America

Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:16 am

OK, who really cares about people putting heptanitrocubane in boolit shells and blaming the man.

In other news - Mobile Chernobyl now has access to a mini lathe :D
(You may be wondering what MC could possibly do with something prefixed with the term "mini" well the answer is not much, but I can at least make Sabot's now!)

It's most likely older than sh!t, but if you've used one lathe, you know how to operate them all just about. Looking forward to producing something to aid in future projects! :D

*Yes - I know the motor's missing, Were either picking up a treadmill motor tomorrow or a drop in replacement AC motor. The hunk-o-junk that was on there had a failed starter capacitor and it was internal - when I went to replace it the fabric wrapped insulation on the lead wires started to crack. At this point I said "F it" and we decided to visit the metal/junk yard tomorrow morning! also :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:25 am

mobile chernobyl wrote:It's most likely older than sh!t, but if you've used one lathe, you know how to operate them all just about. Looking forward to producing something to aid in future projects! :D
:shock:

That

is

beautiful!

hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
mobile chernobyl
Corporal 3
Corporal 3
United States of America

Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:33 am

Glad to give you some machinery fapping material!

It's an old Craftsman lathe. About the equivalent of a 7X12 mini lathe today.

Everything is metal on it, and altogether it is very heavy - always a good trait for solid machinery! Surprisingly (to me) it has a power feed for threading. Even if we don't need it for threading in the immediate future - the finish provided by such a mechanism is far better than one can do by hand.

Like the ol' timers say - they don't make em like they used to!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:56 am

mobile chernobyl wrote:Like the ol' timers say - they don't make em like they used to!
Nothing more beautiful than old machinery that's a homogenous solid unrecognisable colour :D
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Brian the brain
Netherlands

Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:24 am

What is it with young guys.
Always bragging about getting lathe... :D
Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:22 am

Mobile Chernobyl wrote:Mobile Chernobyl now has access to a mini lathe
Looks like a Atles. When replaceing the motor be sure and get/match the RPM's and use the same drive pulley, or your gearing will be off.
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:06 am

I jelly. I very jelly.
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:24 am

Gun Freak wrote:I jelly. I very jelly.
I'm sure your wooden one will be just as wonderful ;)
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:35 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
Gun Freak wrote:I jelly. I very jelly.
I'm sure your wooden one will be just as wonderful ;)
Stone Age as usual. :D
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:20 am

jrrdw wrote:
Looks like a Atles. When replaceing the motor be sure and get/match the RPM's and use the same drive pulley, or your gearing will be off.
The gearing is divided down from the headstock, not the drive belt, so this is not an issue. The issue is cutting speed. Match the RPM and pulley size so the cutting speed is near the correct speed. The motor pulley size will not change the ratio of the lead screw RPM to the chuck RPM, so for threading, the setting for 12TPI will still be 12 Threads per inch. I'm presuming it is geared for US threads, not metric due to the age.

The threading chart shown in the photo is worth gold on an old lathe. It is good to see it is still intact and complete. Did the lathe come with the full gear set too? If it didn't, you may be stuck with just one thread pitch. The lever in the photo is a reversing gear so the lathe can cut left hand and right hand threads. This is a nice touch. Not all lathes have one in the small sizes. It reverses the lead screw direction in relation to the chuck rotation.

Gear ratios are changed on that lathe by changing the two gears held in place with a nut instead of the screws. They are changed in pairs for different thread pitches.
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:36 am

I'm sure your wooden one will be just as wonderful
You'll see! :evil:
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!