Other Interests: Archery...

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:16 am

I haven't missed the butt for about 2000 shots :wink:

They are- they can be removed, stripped, cleaned and refletched. The FF187's are very durable, I've had a couple buried up to the fletchings in the target without damage.

X10's have a fairly thin aluminium core with a very thick layer of carbon, they behave more like a carbon arrow than an aluminium one. Best of both worlds so to speak.

And the shooter is the biggest error factor, that doesn't stop improved equipment from helping. When you're talking about trying to hit a 4" circle 90m away in strong winds, then better arrows certainly help. I noticed improvements on my groupings from going from Powerflights ($70 doz) to Carbon Ones ($150 doz) to X10's ($530 doz). When you're talking about a very small handful of points separating you from being say, number 3 in the country, to number 20, the investment is worth it.
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:21 pm

Ah, yes. If you're shooting from that range I see the advantage.
Personally, I'd be lucky to get a four *foot* group at 90 meters, but that's with five-thousand-year-old tech :)

Read you post on the first page again... it's funny how bows are not regulated, being just as lethal as other weapons which are flat out banned. I think that if I was ever an Australian politician, I would try to ban boomerangs.
Ya know, just to see what would happen.
Petitlu
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:33 pm

I practice archery for 8 months, I got my bronze arrow and now I'm training for the silver arrow.

:wink:
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:08 am

Fnord wrote:I think that if I was ever an Australian politician, I would try to ban boomerangs.
Ya know, just to see what would happen.
It would probably

( •_•)>⌐■-■

just come back and hit you

(⌐■_■)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:00 pm

^Ok, I walked right into that one.

:D :D :D
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:38 am

Petitlu wrote:I practice archery for 8 months, I got my bronze arrow and now I'm training for the silver arrow.

:wink:
I take it congratulations are in order- how do you earn the arrows?

I'm shooting MB+ scores consistently (well above GMB indoors) and nearly put down a solid GMB on 70m but had some really strong gusts on the last end which dropped me about 20 points :evil:

Still set a new PB though
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
Petitlu
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:59 am

I misspoke or bad google translation ...
I practice the arc for 8 months, I spent successively the arrows that are like grades in France.
I do not know if it's the same at home ....
there is the white arrow (10m), black (15m), blue (20m), red (25m), yellow (30m), bronze (30m), silver (50m) and gold (70m)
to get the arrow must be a minimum of 180 140points with a 80cm target face
Except for the arrow of bronze, silver and gold which must be 310/360points.
So now I have yet to pass the arrow of silver and gold, but I do not have the necessary level for the golden arrow! you must lead!

I started the competition, I really like.
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:06 am

Fnord wrote:^Ok, I walked right into that one.

:D :D :D
As an Australian, I got that joke, but I'm sure it went straight over other's heads...

Ino, what's your opinion on the aerofoil fletchings around now? I've heard they're less wind sensitive.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:51 am

Do you mean vanes like the Aerovane?

The Aerovane is the only true aerofoil shape I've seen- unless you mean vanes with a helical, offset or curved vanes like the spinwing.

The Aerovane is a bit of a gimmick. Spinwings (thin mylar vanes shaped to induce spin) and small vanes with an offset or helical work well. Spinwings produce slightly better long range grouping from a recurve, but aren't very durable.

The advantage isn't wind drift, it's to increase drag (stabilises the arrow) and to induce spin (stabilises arrow and minimizes inconsistencies). No different to rifling (although an arrow needs it less than a solid bullet)
Mr.Sandman
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Donating Members

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:07 am

I've never been much of a fan of those precision recurves and what not,
But I do want one of these beasts. I've always enjoyed shooting traditional bows a lot more, something about the simplicity that I find irresistible.
Yeah, it's that important.
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:17 am

Ino, I meant these thingies, they look good.

/sarcasm, /hyperbole
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:46 am

Oh, those are FOBS. They're like regular vanes, but with a circular bit around the outside for more area. People who use them claim you'll shoot nothing but robin hoods with them but in reality the same effect can be obtained with regular vanes.

Not to mention they can only be used with drop away rests and aren't competition legal, they're also prone to breaking due to their shape.
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:14 pm

From what I've heard, your accuracy in still conditions doesn't improve, but in the wind the difference is surprising. I wouldn't mind them for hunting, might make a difference.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:37 am

Zeus wrote:From what I've heard, your accuracy in still conditions doesn't improve, but in the wind the difference is surprising. I wouldn't mind them for hunting, might make a difference.
From what I've seen there's no benefit in any conditions, they're just another style of vane. There are a group of hardcore supporters for them, but they just seem to be people justifying their purchase

There's never really been hard data to support them, like there is with other products- eg. an X10 has roughly 50% the wind drift of an ACE- if you're against an archer of equal skill in a 70m matchplay in moderate or strong winds, and they're using ACE's while you're using X10's you've effectively won straight up.

Only real advantage I see is quick replacement in the field (usually not required) and impact marker (they pop off with a passthrough)
ShayneThill
Private
Private

Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:44 am

Fnord wrote:You're gonna have fun burying those under the grass and looking for the next three days. Invest in a metal detector :lol:

I would generally think I'm always the largest error factor, even with some entry-level carbon fiber arrows from the local sporting good store. After seeing a tradition bowyer hit a water droplet in midair I tend to think modern stuff often gets over-hyped.

Are the fletchings/fins replaceable? That was always the first part to go on the carbon arrows I've used. I'd also be interested in seeing how well they retain their straightness after heavy use. I never had noticeable problems with composites there. I don't see how anyone even uses pure aluminum arrows. Unless you're just shooting random crap to see what happens.
Agree. It is a lot of fan. If you only take it as your new hobby and plan not to spend to much on it, you can get a cheap metal detector.