The Official High-Speed Camera Thread

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
Solar
Corporal
Corporal
United States of America

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:39 am

Thank you for the info, Larda. I am picking up my new 1000w bulb for my Altman halogen filxture tomorrow. I will post my results.
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:44 am

It is a little more expensive, but the solution for most high speed photography is to use DC in an efficient DC arc lamp. Common lamps include carbon arc (with a Positive and Negative rod) or a Xenon projector lamp. With a proper DC supply, they provide an intense steady light suitable for color high speed photography.

A source for either of these is the movie projection industry. They need a flicker free bulb that won't flicker with a film projector shutter. With many theaters going digital, you may be able to find an old school 35mm projector lamphouse for cheap. Many of them are in the 1.5 to 2 KW size.
Solar
Corporal
Corporal
United States of America

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:10 am

This video has been sped up 4x on playback. Recorded at 1000 fps. Using a 750 watt halogen with a fresnel lens at about 5 feet. Brightened up in post as well. I will try and capture something more exciting tomorrow. At this speed you are able to notice a shockwave through the body on impact that almost looks like a lens distortion.

[youtube][/youtube]
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:48 am

[youtube][/youtube]

Oh FAP FAP FAP FAP! :D

Fantastic...

And look how relatively stable the base of the sabot stays in spite of the fact that it's not stabilised in any way, probably because of the sheer velocity.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
ramses
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
United States of America

Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:14 pm

I'm really quite curious how they track shots like that. I assume they use a light sensor to detect the muzzle flash, then use a servo to accelerate a mirror spinning so as to track at the expected velocity, but I didn't notice any appreciable period of acceleration from static to panning, which should be evident at such a slow playback speed. Additionally, such a system would be unlikely to oscillate like that at the end.

Thoughts?
POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:58 am

ramses wrote:Thoughts?
I say spring loaded mirror.

[youtube][/youtube]

fap fap fap fap...

The fact that it uses "sensor aperture domes" makes me imagine BAE systems have now employed GlaDOS...
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:39 am

some nice pistol high speed:

Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:41 pm

Telephoto lens shooting into a high speed servo galvanometer mirror. Think of the high speed mirrors used to scan lasers for laser light shows. At a long distance, they are plenty fast enough to track the projectile.
[youtube][/youtube]
Labtecpower
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3
Eritrea

Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:46 pm

Bombs And Entertainment :D

nice vids!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:37 am

[youtube][/youtube]

That car shot is awesome, cannon ball don't care...
Crna Legija
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:50 am

that was awesome, its like that ball didn't even feel it!
'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
MrCrowley

Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:50 am

Subbed. One of my new favourite channels.

Has anyone figured out where he gets the money for the gear? Judging by people he's filmed in his videos, he knows a fair few popular YouTubers. In another video he mentioned "renting" the high speed crew. Smarter Every Day has done the same but when he rented a high speed camera for one day for a few thousand dollars, it was no where near the Phantom-esque quality and frame rate of ratedrr.

I'm thinking some production company has "clicked" and realised that it can access millions of people over a few days, several times a month, for relatively cheap. Either that, or he's got something going on like the SlowMoGuys.

In more depressing news, I'm thinking about getting the Nikon J1. I want a camera that has entry-level DSLR photo quality with great video quality. Entry-level DSLRs aren't too expensive but they're quite bulky and I haven't found many with great video features. The J1 is handy because it can film 1200fps like the EX-F1. On the other hand, mirrorless cameras seem quite fragile and battery life isn't as good.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:12 am

that was awesome, its like that ball didn't even feel it!
I love the delay between projectile contact and the car actually moving back :D

Some more big bore vs car slow mo footage here:

[youtube][/youtube]

Check out the 75mm at 29:16 especially :D

Not sure if I posted it before.
I'm thinking some production company has "clicked" and realised that it can access millions of people over a few days, several times a month, for relatively cheap. Either that, or he's got something going on like the SlowMoGuys.

It's basically the FPS Russia formula, but made to appear to a wider audience than prepubescent CoD fanboys.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:38 pm

Hawtdawgspudder
Private
Private

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:53 am

We want MOAR TANNERITE!