overly large Hybrid?

Harness the power of precision mixtures of pressurized flammable vapor. Safety first! These are advanced potato guns - not for the beginner.
striker
Private 2
Private 2

Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:21 pm

Im just working on the temp frame at moment. Im hoping that the 10kv stock prod I have will be able to fire is on the test run as I have run out of time for the moment to sort a coil firing system out.

Im hoping to get out on wed to test fire this puppy. Ive re-read thru my original post and been looking thru my 5 years of design ideas etc and already planning for the possibility of a bigger one. I do like the idea of a bowling ball hybrid :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :D. Just maybe :roll:
striker
Private 2
Private 2

Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:20 am

So I don't know where I got the time to do it but I managed to make up a simple ignition coil system. So now all it comes down to know is fuel, compress and fire :D :D :D :D :D about bloody time too

merry xmas
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:22 am

Come on come on, this has been too long in the making! Good things come to those who wait, but still ;)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
striker
Private 2
Private 2

Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:24 am

wednesday if the weather breaks, thursday regardless :lol:
striker
Private 2
Private 2

Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:30 am

started off the testing with a 5X mix
I got to 10X and the compressor couldnt pump any more so im already looking in to other options for air fill to get to a higher mix
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:34 am

HAHA BOOOOOOM!!!!

did you cover it in pallets for safety :?

And was this just a chamber test or were there projectiles involved?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:51 am

Haha I love the recoil system, definition of the KISS principle!
I love lamp
striker
Private 2
Private 2

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:54 am

There was projectiles involved- baked bean cans full of concrete. the conclusion we have some to the cloud you see is the concrete being reintegrated in to the atmosphere as a dust. we found no remains of any tins or concrete at all, that shot was on a 7X if I remember correctly. I can't wait to sort out a higher pressure system and see if i can get to 15x
striker
Private 2
Private 2

Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:20 am

Ive had it out for a shot, and ive found that even reinforced concrete cans are disintegrated before they leave the barrel.

However im having trouble firing it, Im using a long thread sparkplug and a car coil connected to 12v battery, which fires it fine when on the flat but any angle in the shot and it wont fire, i cant place a chain or anything to force air/fuel mix (way too heavy),
Im wondering if any one has explored the use of glowplugs rather than sparkplugs for a low order mixes? up to 10x at the moment
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:50 am

Weird that the angle is affecting your reliability. Are you sure your mixture is well calculated and not marginal, and of the reliability of your instruments?

My experience of trying to use hot wire ignition with hybrids has not been successful, though it worked with atmospheric pressure combustions:

[youtube][/youtube]

The only hybrid I can think of that used something similar successfully was daccel's BACH which used fine steel wool:

striker
Private 2
Private 2

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:34 am

Im in the process of checking all my electrical connections at the moment, coil switches cable etc, battery is new- tests fine, the only other thing I can think of is if the LPG(propane) isnt mixing right and sitting as a pocket.
as for the gauges, they are not overly flash but they have worked well over the last few times but out of calibration is a possibilty,
Im using HGDT for the mixes
If all else fails, Ill wack a long reach glow plug in and see if that will work, or have to go to multi sparkplugs and a wasted spark coil pack modified to fire all at once-dont really want to have to go there though, its only a 20l tank
goosebumps912
Private
Private

Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:53 pm

i am friends with this striker guy. he comes up to our place to fire this beast.
PS: i am only eleven
STRIKERNZ
Private
Private
New Zealand

Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:57 pm

A firing video
7x mix, 700 gram projectile