SpudFiles Potato Gun Commercial

Boom! The classic potato gun harnesses the combustion of flammable vapor. Show us your combustion spud gun and discuss fuels, ratios, safety, ignition systems, tools, and more.
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:54 pm

I've been wanting to get in some spud shooting action this fall before the weather got cold. I know it's been a while since I filmed anything for SpudFiles, so I just had to break out my best cannon and do some target practice to go along with the new website. So I picked up 40lbs of baking potatoes, some batteries, and a whole pile of targets sure to make for a good time. Lets not forget the high speed cameras and equipment, SpudFiles shoots in full 60fps 1080p now instead of my cell phone!

For those that don't know, we are shooting the BL-520 (previously reviewed) and some of these shots are using compound rounds (previously reviewed as well).

Moral of the story - apparently old school LCD screens are amazingly tough. You can see both the older iMac LCD screen and the old Dell LCD resists the compound rounds extremely well. In fact, we were able to blow off the entire back of the iMac before the screen it's self was actually destroyed. It took several shots (not in video) to finally break all the way through.

I have several hours of raw footage, but of course we only wanted the video to be so long. Some of the best parts have been clipped together to bring you the very first true SpudFiles spud shoot commercial. I consider this to be a testing ground video, as we filmed this in my new back yard and with a film crew that has never shot anything quite like this before. I am hoping that since this went well, we can hold some future IPLA events here to capture all different sorts of cannons in action!

I will eventually be posting an extra/bloopers reel, but for now enjoy a bit of the weekend as I have by watching us in action. Some detailed images below.
Attachments
Dell laptop, potato damage carnage.
Dell laptop, potato damage carnage.
Dell laptop carnage, under the keyboard.  Almost all keys were blown off with the 1st shot.
Dell laptop carnage, under the keyboard. Almost all keys were blown off with the 1st shot.
Macbook, torn apart through the back via potato round.
Macbook, torn apart through the back via potato round.
iMac, directly after the compound round shot.  You can see the entire back metal assembly flew off the iMac perfectly while the round stayed in the screen.
iMac, directly after the compound round shot. You can see the entire back metal assembly flew off the iMac perfectly while the round stayed in the screen.
iMac, right after the second compound round shot.  The first shot didn't leave a piece of the round in the screen.  That is actually just the outline of the round embedded in the LCD material.  Wifi card that came out in the extreme lower bottom.
iMac, right after the second compound round shot. The first shot didn't leave a piece of the round in the screen. That is actually just the outline of the round embedded in the LCD material. Wifi card that came out in the extreme lower bottom.
We spent almost 30 minutes searching for the first long range rounds we shot (which is why we did not do more of them).  Eventually found it stuck in the bottom of one of the tree chunks we were shooting against, dug in about 2".  Had to be extracted with pliers.  Wood is only semi-soft from being outdoors, this surprised us greatly.
We spent almost 30 minutes searching for the first long range rounds we shot (which is why we did not do more of them). Eventually found it stuck in the bottom of one of the tree chunks we were shooting against, dug in about 2". Had to be extracted with pliers. Wood is only semi-soft from being outdoors, this surprised us greatly.
Front of the Macbook after the 1st potato shot.  You can see spud guts sprayed across the LCD screen.
Front of the Macbook after the 1st potato shot. You can see spud guts sprayed across the LCD screen.
Simply me and the BL-520.  Yes, my fingers are indeed that long.
Simply me and the BL-520. Yes, my fingers are indeed that long.
Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:18 am

Nice

I think there are two things that could make it better... Have you got a hot cousin or sister ? Because you know this got quite a lot of views ->> [youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by jrrdw on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed video.
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:12 am

Good filmography! Can't wait to hear more about it.

EDIT:
PCGUY wrote:the video was completed today however I an accident today but wanted to ensure this got posted.
The whole accident?

(JK. Hope you're doing alright whatever it is.)
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:53 am

Very nice!
two things
:D :D :D

Looking good, some small criticism:

- the drippy intro is a bit long, looks generic and not really relevant to spudfiles.

I would have expected something like this:

[youtube][/youtube]

- needs moar slo-mo! Surely someone nearby has a HS capable Casio :)

- how about a video montage of shots from other members, I'm sure most members will allow their footage to be used and it will provide some insight into the variety of launchers on spudfiles, not just combustion potato cannons.
Hope you're doing alright whatever it is.
+1
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:37 pm

-Thread updated as it should be
-Accident related information here, http://www.spudfiles.com/offtopic-relat ... 25494.html

Any constructive criticism is welcomed, regarding a montage of other videos that's why I mentioned in the edit that I hope to hold an IPLA event here to capture many people and cannons!
Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
spamspam79
Private
Private

Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:17 pm

Well, I'd love to do my part and help add to the available videos for a members montage. So, feel free to grab anything you like off of my youtube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/spamspam79/videos

I'll be adding more as time allows (and weather permits).
Last edited by jrrdw on Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Youtube channel link.
goosebumps912
Private
Private

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:01 am

can you put multiple spuds in it
PS: i am only eleven
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:52 am

goosebumps912 wrote:can you put multiple spuds in it
You can put whatever fits in the barrel ;)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:53 am

ohh speaking of this... remember the thread on the community project ?? I wonder if we could come up with consensus on a design and launch a kickstarter campaign to build some badass gun... even if it fails it should bring some new visitors to the site
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:06 am

POLAND_SPUD wrote:ohh speaking of this... remember the thread on the community project ?? I wonder if we could come up with consensus on a design and launch a kickstarter campaign to build some badass gun... even if it fails it should bring some new visitors to the site
I don't see why not... depending on what it looked like it may take off!

Regarding multiple spuds, you can indeed and I have. However, you tend to get more potato mash than anything... 1 large study spud seems to work the best.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:52 am

POLAND_SPUD wrote:ohh speaking of this... remember the thread on the community project ?? I wonder if we could come up with consensus on a design and launch a kickstarter campaign to build some badass gun... even if it fails it should bring some new visitors to the site
What would be the point though - to just build one awesome prototype, to manufacture it? Bringing money into it seems to be like a bad idea.
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:54 am

What would be the point though - to just build one awesome prototype, to manufacture it?
Just to build one awesome prototype and bring more people to the site

Obviously bringing money into it can be a problem, but the goal can be set at $200 or so - just to cover some basic expenses such as store bought parts, materials for machining or shipping.
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:03 pm

I'm honestly very surprised that a video like this doesn't have more hits you YouTube! I'm kind of wondering if the counter isn't always going up properly when someone watches it on the main page of SpudFiles...
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:46 pm

Check your analytics page on YT, it tells you which views are on the embedded player and which are on the youtube watch page.
Kelly Sweet
Recruit
Recruit

Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:08 pm

Regarding multiple spuds, you can indeed and I have. However, you tend to get more potato mash than anything... 1 large study spud seems to work the best.