Once a Spudder, Always a Spudder

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:09 pm

Hey y'all, been a while since my last venture to the Files! I'm now in my freshman year of college at the University of Florida (GO GATORS!) studying mechanical engineering. Did you expect anything else? :D Bet you also didn't expect me to join a fraternity

Anyway, I may not have been around in a while, but the Spudder inside me is still alive and well! On my way back to my dorm last night at 3 AM (woo college dorm life), I just happened to stumble upon a mini fridge by the dumpster. Crazy college kids throw these things out all the time... Ain't it great? I carried that thing up a hill and all the way back to my humble abode that is a late-app triple. My roommates were very confused... So a little while ago I whooped out my trusty dorm tool set, AKA an off-brand multi-tool. Somehow I managed to take out all the bolts and screws holding the compressor down, and I was able to cut the copper and steel lines with the clippers. And OF COURSE I used my magical technique of properly disposing any substances in the system that may be harmful to the environment. I then tossed the fridge carcass into an empty dumpster, which made a bang so loud it probably could have been heard within a 1-mile radius.

The things we do for fridgies... :lol:

As the member with the 7th highest post count I felt authorized to make a new thread :P Unfortunately I just don't have time, money, or access to facilities to continue my spudding hobby... Did I mention my lack of money? Oh well, college. We do have some sick facilities here, but I don't think it would be a good idea to just strut into the machine shop and start cutting away.

I hope all is well with you guys! A quick skim through the new posts tells me DYI is up to no good and VERA apparently has some competition! Any other major advancements I should be aware of?
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:50 am

Word of advice, in many locations it is an offence to deliberately vent a small sealed system for disposal. In the US, look up the material online for the CFC certification. Fines are several thousand dollars. Some shops will recover and recycle the refrigerant for free because it is expensive.

Disclaimer, I'm studying for the Universal CFC EPA Certificate.
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:53 am

Tech's still a buzzkill. :D

Currently in Florida as well for the forseeable future.
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:01 am

Gun Freak wrote:I hope all is well with you guys! A quick skim through the new posts tells me DYI is up to no good and VERA apparently has some competition! Any other major advancements I should be aware of?
Breath mints! :twisted:
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:11 am

Glad to see people are alive, well, and progressing on with life!

Big advancements... uhh... the website got niftier ;)
Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:15 am

mark.f wrote:Tech's still a buzzkill. :D
Sorry :D Less of a buzzkill than having an intentional release investigated. Freon is expensive. Sell it. :idea:
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:40 am

I don't know of any refrigerator stores in my little college town :P but if I knew I could have sold it you bet I would have tried! I'll take any spare cash I can get :D

@PCGUY I've actually been by a few times since the website upgrade. Very nice :)

College is great though... Yesterday was game day, and what a day that was!! :D Anyways I probably won't be around much for a while again, so I wish y'all the best with everything!
OG Anti-Hybrid
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:40 am

I don't know of any refrigerator stores in my little college town :P but if I knew I could have sold it you bet I would have tried! I'll take any spare cash I can get :D

@PCGUY I've actually been by a few times since the website upgrade. Very nice :)

College is great though... Yesterday was game day, and what a day that was!! :D Anyways I probably won't be around much for a while again, so I wish y'all the best with everything!
OG Anti-Hybrid
Holy Shat!
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:36 pm

Have fun!

Geaux LSU! :D
qwerty
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:33 pm

I still exist too. Currently in my last year of school before I go off to study Chemistry at uni. Just about to send applications off in the next few weeks. Anyway, good to see the site still running and I remember all of you rowdy lot, heh.
I visit occasionally to make unrelated posts.
Mr.Sandman
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Donating Members

Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:51 pm

I still pop in once in a while, still love reading the quality posts on here. I'm currently an undergrad Mech Eng student so I'm usually pretty busy with that....I did however go half in on a mini lathe with a friend so we'll see how this goes :D.
Yeah, it's that important.