Drone?

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
wyz2285
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Austria

Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:11 pm

Sup guys.
With my CNC done and I managed to save some money, now I'm interested to build a drone.
What I have in mind is the JDI S900. I know it might be hard for a first timer, but it can't be much more complicated than these small drones right?
The frame won't be a problem. Main frame is going to be made with carbon fiber tubes and delrin, machined with my CNC. Later for mounting the parts I can print out whatever I need. Now the whole electronic part is what I'm afraid of and after reading a couple tutorial it became a bit confusing.
Anybody have build one around here? I know spoon feeding is annoying so just links to detailed tutorials will do, like how to drone for dummys :lol: I have took a tour on Instructables.
Last edited by wyz2285 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CpTn_lAw wrote: :D "yay, me wanna make big multishot pnoob with 1000 psi foot pump compressor using diamond as main material. Do you think wet bread make good sealant? " :D
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:10 pm

wyz2285 wrote:hard for a nob
Well that's something not to search on the internet. :shock:
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
ToasT
Private 4
Private 4

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:48 am

It depends how you define build yourself. I recommend against starting from etching your own PCBs haha. Or even programming the control systems.

I have been wanting to build one for about a year now. On the team black sheep website there are some pdf documents that have lots of info, shows something to do with centre of masses and centre of lifts if I recall. That said the data is in relation to their discovery model. eg TBS Discovery Manual

Its a lot simpler if you buy individual parts and plug and play. I was looking at the arduino based APM 2.6. It seemed to have a large user base and allow for a lot of control (tuning control systems, waypoint mission control etc etc). I think with that you would feel like you made it yourself. then you just need a bunch of other stuff. Motor controllers and receivers etc.

Also take note of the laws and consequences regarding flying drones, and of radio frequencies that are allowed in the areas you want to fly. Many of the restrictions are based on radio power as well as frequency.
wyz2285
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Austria

Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:30 am

Yeah I'm planning on buying individual parts and design the frame around it.
So after some reading I got a basic idea about some of what I need:
Motors, ESCs, a board that connects the ESCs and battery (I think? Dunno the name of it), radio control and receiver. I think I need something else, like the APM 2.6 you spoke, I think it goes between the receiver and the board that connects the ESCs and battery?
CpTn_lAw wrote: :D "yay, me wanna make big multishot pnoob with 1000 psi foot pump compressor using diamond as main material. Do you think wet bread make good sealant? " :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:43 am

Rag commented on the accidental innuendo before I did, man this place really has changed!

wyz, this needs to be weaponized! Make the frame out of four x 3 liter soda bottles filled with air, connected to a central hub with a BBMG :D

Need to make this happen!
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
wyz2285
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Austria

Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:57 am

Jack, my intention was to carry 2 rocket with it, A friend got a couple kilo of potassium nitrate.
Found a JDI retailer here and it sells components separately, maybe I'll pay it a visit.
ToasT
Private 4
Private 4

Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:35 pm

Put one of these on it.
[youtube][/youtube]

you can buy a very low resolution version from sparkfun.

wyz2285 wrote:a board that connects the ESCs and battery (I think? Dunno the name of it), radio control and receiver. I think I need something else, like the APM 2.6 you spoke
Pretty sure that board and the APM are the same thing.
The HKpilot from Hobby King is a clone of the APM, but much cheaper, and I think i read they upgraded a capacitor so its a bit more reliable.