A friends 3D prints

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
jimmy101
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:54 pm

Obviously non-functional, but damn pretty (and not even done yet, the wood grips haven't been added) ...

video--- https://www.instagram.com/p/BakLBAZlOJQ ... industries
farcticox1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:14 pm

Dear Santa, I wants a 3D printer :bounce:
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:11 pm

3D printed schmoo should be able to handle the usual pneumatic pressures too I would say. A fella with an eye for is and a good file could add steel parts where needed, as has already been shown a number of times with other 3d printed stuff.

So why are we not seeing many 3d printed anything here? There's a few folks with lathes and mills, which are far less entry level than a $300 Chinesium printer, plus it's all the rave these days. There was a vortex cannon printed from Shapeways, Pneumaticcannons had some printed bits in his repeating hybrid, otherwise practically nothing I think.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:49 am

Your friend (relative?) has done a very good job, I'm particularly impressed by the metal finish.
Obviously non-functional
That's a shame, one could have started with a cheapo airsoft model as a base and built around it.
So why are we not seeing many 3d printed anything here? There's a few folks with lathes and mills, which are far less entry level than a $300 Chinesium printer, plus it's all the rave these days.
It also requires an understanding of 3D design, something which I personally have tried but really failed to become proficient at, while others seem to take to it naturally, I feel it's something you need a "knack" for.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
jimmy101
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:27 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Your friend (relative?) has done a very good job, I'm particularly impressed by the metal finish.
son :mrgreen:
Obviously non-functional
But the cylinder pivots out and he is making rounds that fit the chambers.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:26 am

The apple does not fall far from the tree :) Good on him!
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
jimmy101
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:42 pm

Finished model;
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:46 am

Amazing job, kudos!
ulnaitalian
Recruit
Recruit
United States of America

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:26 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:26 am
The apple does not fall far from the tree :) Good on him!
Funny! Haha 8-) 8-)
harle29
Private
Private
United States of America

Wed May 25, 2022 2:51 am

farcticox1 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:14 pm
Dear Santa, I wants a 3D printer :bounce:
I bought an old used Craftsman RAS about 20 years ago, leveled the table, built a fence and an extension table with a measuring stop. I use it strictly for crosscuts and use it more than my sliding compound. Never had an issue to date but, I treat it with the respect it deserves and never cut cross-handed as I once seen Norm Abram doing on The New Yankee Workshop, he preaches safety all of the time and that show should have never aired.

I believe this is one of the frequent accidents, because they can and will self feed if you feed too fast and do not have a firm grip, cutting cross-handed does not allow a firm grip, good way for major injury or to cut ones hand off.

One good feature mine does have is the switch is mounted on the motor itself and is thumb operated. I keep my thumb on the switch when in use, ready to switch off if necessary. Many if not most saws have the switches mounted on the end of the arm, very inconvenient place if something goes wrong. You can read articles like this to get more information.