"Offtopic-posts-topic" NSFW

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
User avatar
mark.f
Sergeant Major 3
Sergeant Major 3
Eritrea
Posts: 3570
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 11:18 am
Location: The Big Steezy
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 10 times
Contact:

Donating Members

Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:22 pm

Small world, I start nursing classes (been taking the few pre-reqs I needed after being out of school for over five years) next fall. It's been fun learning about the bones I've broken over the years. :p After this blows over (whichever way it does) you should try your hand at building again. It's only been five years and I notice that I've been underestimating the labor required for tasks I have planned by a large margin, but my "easy build" is starting to come together after over a month of work.
User avatar
drac
Corporal 4
Corporal 4
United States of America
Posts: 899
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:56 am
Location: Avon, NY
Been thanked: 2 times

Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:37 am

mark.f wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:22 pm
Small world, I start nursing classes (been taking the few pre-reqs I needed after being out of school for over five years) next fall. It's been fun learning about the bones I've broken over the years. :p After this blows over (whichever way it does) you should try your hand at building again. It's only been five years and I notice that I've been underestimating the labor required for tasks I have planned by a large margin, but my "easy build" is starting to come together after over a month of work.
I'd wager that our "easy builds" no longer seem easy because we have nowhere near the time we had to do this when we were younger.

I also need to rebuild my tool collection, my ex-wife decided to sell them on me. :cry:

All my future tools are contingent on me proving that I can use them for practical things to the current girlfriend lol (not really, she doesn't care what I buy or do, and I'm sure she'd be on board with building these).
User avatar
mark.f
Sergeant Major 3
Sergeant Major 3
Eritrea
Posts: 3570
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 11:18 am
Location: The Big Steezy
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 10 times
Contact:

Donating Members

Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:10 am

drac wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:37 am
my ex-wife decided to sell them on me. :cry:
I think JSR just had an aneurysm. :mrgreen:
User avatar
mrfoo
Specialist
Specialist
Afghanistan
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:05 am
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:00 am

Machine tools might possibly be valid reasons for divorce.

Selling my machine tools after a divorce would be a valid reason for "disappearance"
User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General
Posts: 25766
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Donating Members

Thu May 14, 2020 8:34 am

mark.f wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:10 am
I think JSR just had an aneurysm. :mrgreen:
Almost...

The reason why even though I make the effort to maintain my status as an eligible bachelor, I have no intention of renouncing on that bachelorhood.

This lockdown has been quite insane, it turns out that when people are stuck at home they buy toy guns online and keeping things going has been a chore with limited staff.

I barely touched my home workshop in the meantime, during a period when I foolishly thought free time would be available in spades.

On the plus side, thanks to the social isolation I finally managed to manage my diet better and do the proper "cut" I've been wanting to do for years, down about 15 lbs and it feels pretty good. Glad I have a home gym!
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
User avatar
Daltonultra
Specialist 3
Specialist 3
United States of America
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:17 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio, U.S.A.
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:10 am

Moonbogg wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:05 pm
Welcome back, Gunfreak. NOW BUILD SOMETHING! :D I might design a large bore soup can launching monster. I think my next cannon should have enough recoil to just about put me on my ass. It's called for.
Did you forget about ME?

The Official High-Tech Redneck

"There is no such thing as overkill." ~Solomon Short
User avatar
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Seychelles
Posts: 2397
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:12 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:55 pm

Thinking about building something for the first time in years...
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
User avatar
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
Posts: 1610
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:20 pm
Location: SoCal
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:34 pm

Daltonultra, I don't recall seeing that thing. It's an absolute monster! That thing can really chuck a can. I'm working on a new design and I was going to make it big enough to launch soup cans, but I decided to make another soda can launcher. I already have a soda can launcher though, so maybe I should man up and go big or GTFO. I admit I've become a little concerned about the recoil of a big soup can hybrid though. It could actually be kind of dangerous. Like, if you accidentally push the button before you're ready, the recoil could break your wrist or something and then the cannon would slam hard right into your nuts. I suppose I could try to design for that...somehow.

SpudBlaster15, I'm dying to know what you have in mind. Spill the beans!
User avatar
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Seychelles
Posts: 2397
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:12 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:09 pm

Moonbogg wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:34 pm
SpudBlaster15, I'm dying to know what you have in mind. Spill the beans!
I don't have access to much space at the moment and it has been a long time since I touched any spudgun related building materials and tools, so I might just throw together a quick, easy QEV pneumatic to see if I can jumpstart my interest again. I miss the old days building ridiculous hybrids and chatting with people on here; my life and the world have changed and it's not practical to try to go back to that, but this site was a big part of my previous life and it feels bad to have not contributed anything here for almost a decade.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
User avatar
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
Posts: 1610
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:20 pm
Location: SoCal
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:13 pm

SpudBlaster15 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:09 pm
Moonbogg wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:34 pm
SpudBlaster15, I'm dying to know what you have in mind. Spill the beans!
I don't have access to much space at the moment and it has been a long time since I touched any spudgun related building materials and tools, so I might just throw together a quick, easy QEV pneumatic to see if I can jumpstart my interest again. I miss the old days building ridiculous hybrids and chatting with people on here; my life and the world have changed and it's not practical to try to go back to that, but this site was a big part of my previous life and it feels bad to have not contributed anything here for almost a decade.
I understand. I don't know your particular life situation, but I had also moved on from the hobby. It just faded away with time and I was often reminded of the fond memories when I'd occasionally see my hybrid during one of our moves from house to house, or house to an apartment. My hybrid lived in storage for years. When we moved into an apartment, my wife asked if we should just get rid of the cannon. I gave her a special look and she knew damn well that cannon was never going away.
After about a decade of basically no involvement in the hobby, my brother-in-law saw my 7ft long hybrid in the garage of our new house and asked if we could shoot it. I didn't have the desire to shoot it but told him maybe someday soon. Eventually, I dusted it off and put some new batteries in it. I had to find an elastic velcro band to hold the project box on because the epoxied clips had come off over the years. I flipped the fan switch and listened to the chamber fan rev with the same authority it did way back in the day. It still worked. I tested the trigger button and the stun gun still zapped through the spark-strip sharp and healthy. When we went out to shoot it, I was surprised again at how fast a potato could go. The desire for the hobby came back with a vengeance and determination that couldn't be stopped, so I built a new hybrid. Now, here we are. You helped to forge the path into a new era of hybrid development. If it wasn't for your efforts, my new cannon that I love to death wouldn't exist.
So yeah, build that QEV launcher.
User avatar
mobile chernobyl
Corporal 3
Corporal 3
Posts: 746
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:53 am
Been thanked: 4 times

Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:45 pm

Daltonultra wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:10 am
Moonbogg wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:05 pm
Welcome back, Gunfreak. NOW BUILD SOMETHING! :D I might design a large bore soup can launching monster. I think my next cannon should have enough recoil to just about put me on my ass. It's called for.
Did you forget about ME?

Oh man, this post brings back memories of my big pneumatic beast! I loved launching cans - cheap and highly entertaining ammo both for the explosion of its contents and the effect on the target! Haha awesome video and I agree with the general trend of communication here. I need a pole barn and a bigger back yard in my life darnit! I could even do without the bigger yard living in Colorado but its still nice to just roll the cannon outside and fire off a shot or two kn a random weeknight...

User avatar
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Seychelles
Posts: 2397
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:12 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:09 pm

Moonbogg wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:13 pm
You helped to forge the path into a new era of hybrid development. If it wasn't for your efforts, my new cannon that I love to death wouldn't exist.
Really appreciate this comment. That was my primary goal back then, to move spudding forward, hopefully inspire people to create bigger, more powerful, more sophisticated cannons and show that it could be done without any special parts or manufacturing facilities. It's nice to know that my efforts were meaningful and your sentiment does get the old flame flickering a bit more vigorously again.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
User avatar
Daltonultra
Specialist 3
Specialist 3
United States of America
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:17 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio, U.S.A.
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:36 pm

Moonbogg wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:34 pm
Daltonultra, I don't recall seeing that thing. It's an absolute monster! That thing can really chuck a can. I'm working on a new design and I was going to make it big enough to launch soup cans, but I decided to make another soda can launcher. I already have a soda can launcher though, so maybe I should man up and go big or GTFO. I admit I've become a little concerned about the recoil of a big soup can hybrid though. It could actually be kind of dangerous. Like, if you accidentally push the button before you're ready, the recoil could break your wrist or something and then the cannon would slam hard right into your nuts. I suppose I could try to design for that...somehow.

SpudBlaster15, I'm dying to know what you have in mind. Spill the beans!
I'm the one, back in 2012, got invited to appear on a show on Animal Planet. A producer stumbled across my video on YouTube and messaged me to ask if I could bring my cannon out to Dayton, OH to film a pilot called Redneck Roadtrip with comedian Jon Reep (That thing got a Hemi in it?) We spent a few hours firing off a bunch of spray-n-prays and a ball-valve mortar the other invitees brought out, and Jon took a few turns shooting my big gun. It was a blast, and he cackled like a madman the first time he got to shoot it.
WIsh the show had gotten picked up, but unfortunately, it didn't, and disappeared without a trace...

As far as recoil... you should hit Tractor Supply and pick up a small utility trailer kit to bolt the thing down on. That's my plan for whenever I get around to building the 4" piston valve I have in mind.
The Official High-Tech Redneck

"There is no such thing as overkill." ~Solomon Short
User avatar
mark.f
Sergeant Major 3
Sergeant Major 3
Eritrea
Posts: 3570
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 11:18 am
Location: The Big Steezy
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 10 times
Contact:

Donating Members

Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:20 am

I need to get back to building. :/ I've had AR parts lying around since last fall but I finally got around to getting a lower a month ago and have been building that instead of the cannon I need to be finishing.
IMG_0682.JPG
User avatar
mobile chernobyl
Corporal 3
Corporal 3
Posts: 746
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:53 am
Been thanked: 4 times

Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:41 pm

mark.f wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:20 am
I need to get back to building. :/ I've had AR parts lying around since last fall but I finally got around to getting a lower a month ago and have been building that instead of the cannon I need to be finishing.
IMG_0682.JPG
I don't know about you but no amount of fancy ARs or AKs, custom built or exotic auction win will ever seem to replace the feeling you get after completing a big "spud" launcher and firing it off for the first time.

I've even had the honor to shoot .50 BMGs out here in Colorado at truly long ranges and also rapid fire at big steel barrels...

Nope - that hybrid golf ball gun will always have top dibs haha.
Post Reply