Big Assed Mother Farker

Harness the power of precision mixtures of pressurized flammable vapor. Safety first! These are advanced potato guns - not for the beginner.
striker
Private 2
Private 2

Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:30 am

as you would have probably seen in the hybrid build section that I've had this build on the cards for a few years. well I got around to making it a reality.
Its a 5m long 75mm bore hybrid utilising a class 150 4 bolt flange as a burst dics holder.
the chamber is a 20litre ex-oxygen bottle, and has a single spark plug and a single fill port, I dont currently have any close up pics.
the gun holder is currently temporary and as I get around to it Ill build a nicer setup (tilt and pan)

well here is a pic of the beast

and here is a vid of it as well

Im currently having to rethink my projectile choice, I was firing tin cans filed with concrete, but they seem to be getting the concrete crushed/broken up before it leaves the barrel, Im going to give shaped pykrete a go when I get the chance
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:42 am

Ah, finally! Given what I presume is the significant weight of the carriage, the recoil is pretty impressive! What mix was that shot?
striker wrote:Im currently having to rethink my projectile choice, I was firing tin cans filed with concrete, but they seem to be getting the concrete crushed/broken up before it leaves the barrel, Im going to give shaped pykrete a go when I get the chance
Certainly this beast deserves some "proper" ammunition.

How about some massive airgun pellets :D from another post:

Not meant to be fired from spudguns though:

Pretty good effect on target:

hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
striker
Private 2
Private 2

Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:53 am

Yeah the trailer is about 350+ kg and the cannon is 150kg (frame included)
the wheels were chocked and I didnt take notes but I think that was a 6 power mix, It started raining too hard for the cameras for the 9 and 10 IIRC

Im looking in to getting a lathed apfsds round made, maybe lol. next time is range testing :lol:
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:27 am

That's a BEAST :D
Certainly this beast deserves some "proper" ammunition.
uhmm it's 75mm bore - one could fit lots of different stuff in the projectile - for example a mobile phone :idea:
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
STRIKERNZ
Private
Private
New Zealand

Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:53 am

jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:45 am

nice... what were you shooting?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
STRIKERNZ
Private
Private
New Zealand

Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:21 pm

Paint cans filled with crusher dust.
Im debating about going down the path of oxy propane and remote firing much higher mixes
STRIKERNZ
Private
Private
New Zealand

Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:52 pm

No damage pics tho
Tinned items are not surviving the barrel. May have to freeze them
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:37 pm

Did you get back into the hobby after a while? I think that's the same cannon from back in 2013. It's a beast. What mix are you using it at currently?
STRIKERNZ
Private
Private
New Zealand

Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:30 pm

Yeah it is the same one, I've always been playing in the background, I'm just wired that way but life gets in the way some times
7x mix at the moment but talking with an engineer 15x and higher should be possible with remote charging and firing.