Airsoft "rocket launcher"

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
brandon2513
Private 2
Private 2
United States of America

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:52 pm

Hi i made this airsoft "rocket launcher" it is essentially a giant shoulder mounted shotgun made out of a sprinkler valve and some pressure rated pvc pipes. I only pump it up to about 80 psi due to the risk of the pvc exploding. For the shell i use a 3/4 schedule 40 pvc pipe with a bunch of bbs inside it held there by some wading. Unfortunately the bbs spread out at really close ranges and i was wondering if any of you would have an idea for a shell where the bbs wouldn't spread out as fast, and if you want ill post it firing on my youtube. Oh and i would prefer the barrel to be the same size if thats possible. :D
Attachments
rocket launcehr airsoft pic 2 REAL.JPG
farcticox1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:14 pm

I made something similar, had to use an inner barrel (1/4" ID) to contain the BB's but still get a small spread.
[youtube][/youtube]
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:06 am

Why not use multiple 6mm barrels? Less spread and no need to use a wad.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
NeoSpud
Private 4
Private 4

Donating Members

Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:22 am

brandon2513 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:52 pm
Hi i made this airsoft "rocket launcher" it is essentially a giant shoulder mounted shotgun made out of a sprinkler valve and some pressure rated pvc pipes. I only pump it up to about 80 psi due to the risk of the pvc exploding. For the shell i use a 3/4 schedule 40 pvc pipe with a bunch of bbs inside it held there by some wading. Unfortunately the bbs spread out at really close ranges and i was wondering if any of you would have an idea for a shell where the bbs wouldn't spread out as fast, and if you want ill post it firing on my youtube. Oh and i would prefer the barrel to be the same size if thats possible. :D
Nice!

What are you using as wadding? Just like a real shotgun, the wad matters when it comes to shot dispersion (so does the choke of course, but in the PVC spudgun world we don't have the opportunity to use that tech, lol). The weight of the BBs also matters, perhaps more than anything. Light BBs (0.20g and below) will go EVERYWHERE once they leave the barrel, for a number of reasons I could discuss later. If you use heavier BBs, they'll tend to stay in the same direction for longer.

I tried for the longest time to figure out a way to make an "airsoft shotgun round" that'd stay together for ~50 yards then disperse, but never found that reliable sweet spot between falling apart too soon and staying together as a slug (which would be really, really bad to get hit with). No joke, the best results I ever had were using actual 12 gauge wads (they fit well in SCH40 3/4" PVC) loaded with 0.28g BBs and -I kid you not- decreased chamber pressure. For any specific barrel length you'll have to figure out the pressure yourself (you have a very small chamber so it may be fine at a higher pressure; I would prefer you use a larger chamber instead), but there's a point where any additional chamber pressure = worse dispersion.

Anyways, I have more to say but that's all for tonight! Best of luck!
"oh my god, I'm so old now" -me, 2020